Aquascape Critique Needed

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am waiting for my RedSea 300XL G2 to arrive so I have been playing around with some aquascaping. I am pretty new to this other than looking at a lot of other examples. I made two variations where the only real difference is the front right where option 1 I have a separate island and option 2 does not. I plan on a SPS/LPS mix. Max height is ~11-12” and tank display is 22”. I am trying to achieve lots of hiding spots for fish and also not crowd to much towards the glass for cleaning and some coral on the front sand bed. Please give any critiques or advise, thanks!

Option 1:

Option 2:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually a big fan of islands or breaks in structures, but option 2 is so nicely balanced and I like the 2 little arches you'd be removing.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape is highly personal so don't listen to me but (I apologize in advance)...
"Feels" like a lot of rock crammed together.

I'd say do whatever you like but keep in mind horizontal mounting areas at whatever heights/depths you think the coral you're planning would do best at.

P.S. I've disassembled and scattered my rocks multiple times just to achieve a more spread out environment (but, again, that's all mostly personal aesthetic preference)

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape is highly personal so don't listen to me but (I apologize in advance)...
"Feels" like a lot of rock crammed together.

I'd say do whatever you like but keep in mind horizontal mounting areas at whatever heights/depths you think the coral you're planning would do best at.

P.S. I've disassembled and scattered my rocks multiple times just to achieve a more spread out environment (but, again, that's all mostly personal aesthetic preference)
Haha no need to apologize! I am looking for feedback so I appreciate it. I personally like a little more rock than the super minimal scapes. However I don’t think the camera captures overly well some of the depth/open space throughout the structure. I’m using a combination of arches and regular rock to keep open lines throughout (or at least attempt to). I will likely switch it up several more times, who knows!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I like 2 best but I really like the seperate island in 1. It seems like I always find a coral or nem I want that needs to be isolated and a separate island is nice to have.

I'm waiting on the same tank (just ordered today) and I just brought all my rock into the basement from outside storage. I'll be breaking mine up to try and build a scape since I already have over 100lbs of dry rock. My rockscaping skills suck and I can never seem to get one I really love. Maybe this will be the one :thinking-face:

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I like 2 best but I really like the seperate island in 1. It seems like I always find a coral or nem I want that needs to be isolated and a separate island is nice to have.

I'm waiting on the same tank (just ordered today) and I just brought all my rock into the basement from outside storage. I'll be breaking mine up to try and build a scape since I already have over 100lbs of dry rock. My rockscaping skills suck and I can never seem to get one I really love. Maybe this will be the one :thinking-face:
Yeah I hear that, I just stack and then disassemble and repeat for hours haha. It’s nice to start early and just be able to look at it for awhile to see if it grows on you or you don’t like something. Once I feel good about it I’ll mortar it together in a couple places to make it more stable

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hear that, I just stack and then disassemble and repeat for hours haha. It’s nice to start early and just be able to look at it for awhile to see if it grows on you or you don’t like something. Once I feel good about it I’ll mortar it together in a couple places to make it more stable
That's funny because that's what I do. My only problem is when I get one I really like I'm never able to repeat it for bonding or assembling in tank. I've even taken photos and still can't do a repeat. I got some pond foam to try this time around.

EDIT: @Zach What mortar are you going to use?

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back