Aquascape critique - new pics posted, scroll down

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had reef tanks for the past 6 yrs, so far from considering myself an expert, though I would say I have moderate experience. Let me 220 gal tank go before our move, just placed an order for my new custom tank. I have a bunch of dry / dead rock from previous builds and decided to start on the rockwork for the new build. Previous builds were simple rock stacks. This time, after watching half a dozen you tube videos, I got a chisel and 4# hammer and broke up a bunch of my rock and glued it back together, going for more of a NSA this time.

my new tank will be rectangular - 60” wide, 30” tall and 30” front to back. There will be a central overflow that is approximately 6” x 13”. This is my initial configuration - looking for any suggestions, critiques, etc.
5C8551EA-0537-4DDE-81A2-1CDF6F7C5263.jpeg
C6B600C1-5858-49AD-81C2-372F0CC6B0F3.jpeg
F53BEC45-4454-40EA-8EF4-02F095C598F0.jpeg

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda hard to decipher all you have going on.
take a pic straight on, straight down, and a right and left side of a whole tank view.
also, what types of corals do you intend to have?

OP
OP
stefdvm

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda hard to decipher all you have going on.
take a pic straight on, straight down, and a right and left side of a whole tank view.
also, what types of corals do you intend to have?
Yeah, i see that now.... I’ll go back and take more geometric shots when I get home on Monday. I prefer softies and LPS, with an occasional SPS. I’ll post new pics next week. I have a video - goes all the way around the set up, but couldn’t get it to load.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you plan to have fish in the tank (not just a coral reef), IMO it would help to create more "dark" space for fish to sleep in and hide. They need to feel safe at night.

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I may add is maybe not have so much of the rock go up so vertically. I think it will be hard to fill that space with corals. Definitely love the NSA style though; super nice work. Looking forward to seeing the progression.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more suggestion before you take the pics. get a piece of Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation to represent the back glass for a height reference. (Lowes or Home Depot). I bought the green, what ever was thinnest. it also makes for a nice background afterwards velcroed to the back glass of the display tank. check my build for a reference.

OP
OP
stefdvm

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some new pictures before I read the rest of the posts... I’ll have to go back with a stand-in for the tank back and do it again lol. I work nights, so I don’t think well in the AM generally... anywho - getting above the DR table was “fun” - chandelier was in the way, but I did the best I could. And I tried to go straight on from each side... maybe these will be less chaotic.

The painter’s tape was to give me a basic idea of size; I went back with a sharpie and drew out the exact parameters before taking more pictures; the tank will be 60” x 30” x 30” with a central overflow that is 6” x 11”

top down, left

28D96DB7-D0E9-494F-B085-35E91106BA46.jpeg

Top down over the center; excuse the invasive chandelier crystals
8C72793E-9186-48D7-BAE4-3C5D522555BE.jpeg

Top down, right end of the tank
38807FA1-864F-403F-8C3D-2AD3BB43C074.jpeg

Straight on from the front of the tank
E88C333E-601A-4DBC-AB49-C8A51BB8AE1B.jpeg

Straight on from the right end of the tank
7E80AA2F-E74B-4703-BB02-150CD646EDE4.jpeg

Straight on from the left end of the tank
9505F66D-1091-48F8-8E8B-A5EA851F5B7A.jpeg

I started to try to camoflage the Marco mortar; I couldn’t find grey so I used pink, but that was a pain and at this point I don’t really care because it will eventually all be the same color so I’m not sweating that. I also drilled holes in the rocks for placement of frags to make it easier - in my last tank, I had a lot of trouble with securing them to the rocks where I wanted them.

I will start a build thread this week, but wanted some input on the rocks before I carry them all out to start the curing process. I have tons of rock left still and can certainly smash up some more - it was kind of fun and somewhat satisfying - to create more cave like areas for hiding spots. I didn’t want the rockscape to be as visually “heavy” as it was in my last tank.

OP
OP
stefdvm

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not specifically. Wanted the fish to have a longer linear swimming space. I want the fish to have their own racetrack I guess...

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not specifically. Wanted the fish to have a longer linear swimming space. I want the fish to have their own racetrack I guess...
ok. I guess I'm not getting it. center over flow means a box from the bottom to the top on that rectangle?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Like this...
sweet tank. now I understand the scape layout.
so maybe take a look at this. overflow box hide. make it look like the rest of the rock. they sell a different product that colors up close to what you have now. more options to attach corals. skip the paint part.

OP
OP
stefdvm

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I’m not in love with it either - sigh.... it was my first attempt at anything other than a simple rock stack... luckily I have lots of time to figure it out

OP
OP
stefdvm

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet tank. now I understand the scape layout.
so maybe take a look at this. overflow box hide. make it look like the rest of the rock. they sell a different product that colors up close to what you have now. more options to attach corals. skip the paint part.

Now THAT is a neat product!! I can remove some of this rock and build off the overflow! Love it!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now THAT is a neat product!! I can remove some of this rock and build off the overflow! Love it!
to get the same color as your rock you want to look at the Free Form Habitat Fire Safe instead of the Habitat Black they show and what I used.
take a look at the first few pages in my build thread to see the possibilities.
and start your build thread so your journey is all in one place for us to follow. :cool:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back