Aquascape feedback

kdm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

After having freshwater fish tanks on and off through my life I've decided to finally attempt my dream of having a saltwater fish tank. It's going to be a standard 75 gallon tank footprint. At the moment, I am not planning on corals right away, just fish and rock. I have been working a little bit on the layout of the tank and came up with a few different options, but as this is all new to me, I don't have a lot of experience with what looks right or good. I am open to any feedback and am looking forward to learning as much as possible!

IMG_5288.jpg IMG_5289.jpg IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5291.jpg IMG_5292.jpg

bryznsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vote is on the last one! cant imagine how much time you put to do several versions that arch looks so nice. I found it challenging when you mount corals ( in the future ) on rocks that are built up straight rather than out horizontally although there are a few corals that can grow on that steep slope

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vote is on the last one! cant imagine how much time you put to do several versions that arch looks so nice. I found it challenging when you mount corals ( in the future ) on rocks that are built up straight rather than out horizontally although there are a few corals that can grow on that steep slope
Agree.

Webbed Feet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While acknowledging all the work going into the restacks, what I see is nicely stacked rocks. In my opinion, all of them need considerably more negative spaces that cannot be achieved by prestacking because the larger rocks would be all broken into smaller ones and then glued back together to make more intricate shapes with more open areas (negative space).

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a lot of time om my first dry rock aquascape. It was a glued together, single mass, big mistake. First off, make sure it can come out in sections. There are times when you will want to/need to pull rocks out.

I won't call it a mistake, because it is a choice, but dry rock can be a difficult row to hoe. Once I used real ocean live rock, I will never start with dry rock again.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one is the most visually appealing. When you look at the scape your eyes should track around the entirety in almost a figure 8 or S pattern. I would even remove a few rocks from the left to lower that side a bit.
This! I especially like the advice about keeping the points of both structures at varying heights. It makes it much more interesting!

In the end, the aquascape matters very little. The corals will grow are add their own structures and colors.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back