Aquatic Life Debuts LED/T5HO Hybrid Mounting System Fixture Reef Hobbyists Have Been Waiting For!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a god portion of this thread, but have a question I didn't see asked. Will the 36" model accept 3 XR15's? It states 2 on the specs, but I run 3 on my 40 breeder right now, overkill but less shadowing. Thanks.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xr15s on a 36” fixture. You could put 3 on it. You would need to have the outer 2 near the ends which I assume you do now however you mount your lights. It might say 2 on promo material because it comes with only 2 Radion mounts. You would need to buy another.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
As for a shorter suspension wire, let me check into that. The wire was made to be long enough to work with the 18" width and the 24" width fixtures. So they do look longer on the 18" when installed.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for a shorter suspension wire, let me check into that. The wire was made to be long enough to work with the 18" width and the 24" width fixtures. So they do look longer on the 18" when installed.

So with the stock wires my new build is a tad close to the water :p. This is a breeder so the stock width works great but I hope you have a way to shorten the cable. I can’t raise the lighting stand anymore.
D23F9937-417B-4799-8A69-7A1C19C0705A.jpeg

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Let me check on the older 18" wire option. I don't have any here but might be able to get a few. Checking with the supplier.

Setup looks good!!

If I don't have the 18" one I may have a few of the wire locks used for the loop at the top of the suspension wire. It would allow you to shorten the wires that way too and then lock them.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the stock wires my new build is a tad close to the water :p. This is a breeder so the stock width works great but I hope you have a way to shorten the cable. I can’t raise the lighting stand anymore.
D23F9937-417B-4799-8A69-7A1C19C0705A.jpeg
You could always go the direct mount method with that 8020 profile. Have to lower it a bit though, and get the longer T-screws from Dave.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kyl can you expand on that? what would be my mounting option in getting the 8020 connected to the fixture? im a bit of an 8020 noob still. i would probably prefer that, i can move the light rail portion of the 8020 up and down

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome if there were shorter wires you could send. That was the first thing my wife complained about when I showed off my new toy. It does look a little off.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about wire locks at the top of the suspension wire.

Last edited:

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kyl can you expand on that? what would be my mounting option in getting the 8020 connected to the fixture? im a bit of an 8020 noob still. i would probably prefer that, i can move the light rail portion of the 8020 up and down
You will need the longer T-slot bolts from Dave (@AquaticLifeProducts ), and some M5 flared thumb nuts to slide into the V channel of that profile, at quick glance. Similar idea overall as how I've mounted mine:

AL_screws_2
by Kyl Aquaria, on Flickr

I am not sure if there is a specific 8020 component that can slide in those V channels like a flared nut would, never really looked into the catalog of those profiles when I DIY'd mine.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually might not even need the longer screws, I'll have to do some homework when I get home later this afternoon. With my installation the screws had to pass through the aluminum, and would only give bite on about three threads when doing so, hence the longer screws.

You might get away with using something as simple as these, but it will require the longer screws:

https://8020.net/13064.html

Just have to mount them to the fixture first, then slide it into the profile. Won't be 100% solid from movement since you can't rotate either of the threaded sides, but would be as close as half a turn of a thread in any case which wouldn't be much. The ball springs would help hold it in place from rolling back in the profile.

Think I may actually do just this with mine, then I'll be able to slide the fixture in / out, as I never did get access to a milling machine as in my original plans. I had abandoned using 8020 before the option of using longer screws became available.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back