Aquatic Life T-5 Hybrid + Nanobox

blazerino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, First time poster here.

After a few year hiatus from reefing I am setting up a 75 gallon elos that I picked up of craigslist for a great price. I am putting the other parts of my system together and am trying to figure out a lighting solution.

The dimensions on the tank are 39.4x22.4x19.7.

I am trying to keep initial costs down and I already own a nanobox duo that is meant for a maximum recommended coverage 24x15 on it's own. I am planning to do a mixed reef, with mostly softies and LPS in the first year and then adding SPS once the tank gets stable.

Do you think it would be feasible to mount a single nanobox duo in the 36" aquatic life T5 hybrid fixture? BRS testing shows an average of 130 PAR at 12" depth across the entire tank with just the T5's. In addition, here is the light spread on the nanobox duo 10" from the sensor.
nanobox1.JPG

Do you think I will get acceptable light coverage from this or is it going to look like a spotlight in the center?

Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First I apologize for our poor manners on not saying #WelcimetoR2R .

I love the hybrid. My first thought went to mounting the light. Not familiar with the duo first hand so not sure if it has mounts on the top. The par between the t5 and duo should be good, but as you are aware you loose as you go out. You may see different growth patterns on the edges where the led is weakest. I have a 6 foot tank. I pulled the center led and ran t5 only in the middle, in that area coraline grew double the led area

Stop by meet and greet if you like so we can get to know you

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

I have the A.L. T5 Hybrid with 2 Hydra 26 HD on my 4 ft tank and it will grow coralline everywhere. Not sure you would be able to grow SPS on the outsides of your tank but the middle would be more than good enough.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I agree with @Fudsey . Just plan your aquascape and livestock placement according to the known pattern of your lighting.

Can't wait to see some pictures as you progress! Be sure and start your own build thread!

OP
OP
B

blazerino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thanks for all the welcome notes.

A bit of a change of plans...

I was testing out the nanobox the other night because it's been a few years since I used it and as soon as I plugged it in I heard a sizzle, saw a flash, and smelled something burning. I had accidentally plugged in the 48V power supply that is meant for the drivers into the jack for the 12v cooling fan.

I can't decide if thats my fault for not checking which is the proper jack (their are two jacks on the led driver unit), or the manufacturers fault for having this be even physically possible to do or at least having a label with a warning on it. Their is literally no markings saying which jack is for which power supply. There is no way I am the first person to make that mistake...

The good news is that the only damage was to the fan, so I should be able to get it fixed.

Anyways, I cursed a few times and rewarded my stupidity by picking up 2 kessil a360x's. The kessils with the aquatic life T5 fixture will obviously be more than enough light.

I am going to get the nanobox repaired and will use it as a light on my old 18x18x9 12 gallon nanotank that I am going to set up eventually as either a frag tank or quarantine tank.

I'll be getting started on a build thread over the holidays, I'll post the link here when I do.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
hahahaha
stuff happens to everyone

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back