Aquatop Recife ECO 40 gallon

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I got a Recife ECO 40 gallon at an LFS about a month ago. It's currently stocked with 2 small percula clownfishes, a chromis, and a royal gramma, as well as a small CUC. Yes, I know that it is a bit fast but I used Dr. Tim's and later Fritz Turbo, and used Stability the first week before adding fish. All is fine so far in terms of parameters. As of right now I'm only using the equipment/media that came with it.

A few questions in case anyone else has this or a similar system:

1) Is there any kind of media basket that can be used to replace the sponge and the small baskets that come with this? InTank and some others make them for other AIO's but I can't find anything for Aquatop systems.
2) Does anyone have any experience long term with the stock lighting? I've seen some other threads with AI and other lights being used with the Aquatop aquariums but none with the light that comes with it. The LFS said that the light was good enough for softies, LPS and some of the less demanding SPS. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that. I actually wrote to Aquatop but didn't get a response. The light is described as "reef ready" but I'm not sure what that means.
3) Any suggestions on additional fish? I'm looking for easy, colorful and active fish that will eat pellets (I can't always feed frozen) but that won't harass the current occupants.
4) Any suggested mods/additions?

Thanks in advance!

Kris

thumbnail_IMG_1619.jpg thumbnail_image0.jpg

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaaa! Coincidently, I just stumbled on your question. I have an AquaTop Recife 24g (bought used) that I've had up since March. For many months, I've had it running as a FOWLR tank with a pair of clowns, a goby, and snails. It set up to be an observation tank for an upcoming big tank build. I think the stock light was awesome for fish, but made me nervous for corals. Recently, I needed to move some coral out of my IM Nuvo 20 into the AquaTop, so I put an AI PrimeHD over that tank to match lighting with the other tank. It looks better.

Also, and why I was searching Aquatop, was because I HATE the foam insert and the baskets!! I want to run a Tunze 9001 skimmer in the middle chamber, so I need to get the baskets out. And, I want to install the a media basket in the first chamber to run filter floss, carbon, etc... and mostly get rid of the foam. I have actually been emailing with InTank all morning. I'll have an answer for you shortly on what media basket to use in the first chamber.

OP
OP
K

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaaa! Coincidently, I just stumbled on your question. I have an AquaTop Recife 24g (bought used) that I've had up since March. For many months, I've had it running as a FOWLR tank with a pair of clowns, a goby, and snails. It set up to be an observation tank for an upcoming big tank build. I think the stock light was awesome for fish, but made me nervous for corals. Recently, I needed to move some coral out of my IM Nuvo 20 into the AquaTop, so I put an AI PrimeHD over that tank to match lighting with the other tank. It looks better.

Also, and why I was searching Aquatop, was because I HATE the foam insert and the baskets!! I want to run a Tunze 9001 skimmer in the middle chamber, so I need to get the baskets out. And, I want to install the a media basket in the first chamber to run filter floss, carbon, etc... and mostly get rid of the foam. I have actually been emailing with InTank all morning. I'll have an answer for you shortly on what media basket to use in the first chamber.
Thanks! I'm happy with the aquarium but like you I would like to change the lights, media, sponge/foam filter, and maybe protein skimmer. Unlike some of the other AIO's (like BioCube, Innovative Marine or Red Sea) there just doesn't seem to be too many pre-made mods or too many resources. I hope that we can develop a knowledge base and resources on here. I look forward to hearing what you learn.

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I know about the InTank media basket. They do not make one for the AquaTop. He said they might, since they get requests for it, but no timeline at this time. He suggested this media basket https://intankaquatics.com/intank-c...ne-waterbox-marine-x-waterbox-peninsula-mini/ is the closest in dimensions. It measures 3" x 3-1/16" (see attached).
image001.png

And I measure my first chamber at 3-1/8 x 2-15/16. He suggested to trim (grind/sand/etc) down the front face, which would make a basket of 3" x 2-7/8" (or as much grinding as needed until it slides into the chamber).
InTank mod 1.png

My last question to him was "how to drop the entire basket lower into the chamber" because, as it sits now, the first plate sits RIGHT at the bottom of the weir, not really leaving room for water to drop onto filter floss. Hold please for the next response.....

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed my order for this basket. Probably going to need to play with the mounting height once I have it. He recommended a 2" drop between the bottom of the weir and the top plate of the basket. I try to remember to come back here for an update in a week or so, once I have it installed.... or feel free to DM/tag me with a reminder. Also, I JUST realized that you have a 40g (mine is the 24g), so be sure to check your chamber dimensions as YMMV.

OP
OP
K

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed my order for this basket. Probably going to need to play with the mounting height once I have it. He recommended a 2" drop between the bottom of the weir and the top plate of the basket. I try to remember to come back here for an update in a week or so, once I have it installed.... or feel free to DM/tag me with a reminder. Also, I JUST realized that you have a 40g (mine is the 24g), so be sure to check your chamber dimensions as YMMV.
Thanks again for all the information. Since I have the 40 I wrote to InTank separately and for the 40g they said that the media basket for the Waterbox Cube 7 "may fit." Hopefully enough of us are out there that InTank starts to make more products specifically for the Aquatops. I'm also hoping that here, Facebook, or somewhere else we can start to build up threads and groups as resources for people new to Aquatops. Beyond a few YouTube videos there's not much out there. Of all the AIO aquariums out there Aquatop seems to have the least resources/information.

LoganW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Just got this tank (24g) and I’m trying to upgrade my media and filtration as a whole. Would love any pictures or info you can recommend me.

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Just got this tank (24g) and I’m trying to upgrade my media and filtration as a whole. Would love any pictures or info you can recommend me.
Hhmmm... for some reason, I didn't get notified of a reply in this thread. Either way, here's what I've got....

It worked GREAT! Took a little work. I had to sand the front edge of the insert down in order for it to fit. Only maybe a 1/16-1/8", but the plastic is harder than I anticipated, and it took a while. I was just using a sheet of sandpaper, laid flat on a table, and sanding the entire front surface at once. A belt sander, or something similar would have been nice. I sanded it down until it JUST BARELY fit, with a tiny little bit of friction, so that...

I had to hanging lip on the top left corner off, otherwise the insert wouldn't go down far enough to get the top chamber below the bottom of the weir. Using the InTank on my Nuvo20, and confirming with InTank, you really want the first shelf about 2" below the bottom of the weir. Hence, just enough sanded off the front to leave a little friction, so it will stay in place and not slide all the way to the bottom.

I'm sure if you sanded more off the front, so that it COULD slide to the bottom, you could create some type of new hangy device to hold it at the right height, but so far, it's working very well and no need for the hangy device.

Hope this helps!
InTank mod 1.png

OP
OP
K

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH.... and NO MORE big, ugly, black sponge!!
Thanks for sharing this! I'm not sure why InTank recommended their unit for the Waterbox 7 for my AquaTop 40. It would technically fit but is very small in every way and would sort of "dangle" in the media chamber. It would be great if they just made one for Aquatop units. I also really want to get rid of the sponge so I appreciate your information.

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this! I'm not sure why InTank recommended their unit for the Waterbox 7 for my AquaTop 40. It would technically fit but is very small in every way and would sort of "dangle" in the media chamber. It would be great if they just made one for Aquatop units. I also really want to get rid of the sponge so I appreciate your information.
I'm 100% sure I can say which one would fit a AT40. And, when I was talking directly to InTank, they said they were getting enough requests that AT would probably be a 2021 design?!

OP
OP
K

Krishna Ramaraju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% sure I can say which one would fit a AT40. And, when I was talking directly to InTank, they said they were getting enough requests that AT would probably be a 2021 design?!
Thanks, I just ordered one. I'll head over to Harbor Freight this weekend and get a sander. I did write to InTank that they should make baskets for Aquatops but they didn't respond either way on that. Please let me know if you learn of any other hacks. I appreciate it.

longbeachjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. i've had our recife 40g running for about 3 weeks now and i'm trying to read as much of the limited information i can find on the web. came across your thread.

longbeachjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this basket thing that i have hanging in my return section. i can't figure out where this goes. was it even meant for this tank?

IMG_1776.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back