Aquatop Recife ECO 40 gallon

andrejk

lapsed salt tank geek learning it all again now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have an issue with the film on the surface of the water?
I have problems with surface film if I don't use that clear weir that spreads out the water intake to make it flow faster at the top. But unfortunately that raises the water level a little higher than I'd like. I'm thinking about making a custom return for it that's even wider and a bit lower.

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have problems with surface film if I don't use that clear weir that spreads out the water intake to make it flow faster at the top. But unfortunately that raises the water level a little higher than I'd like. I'm thinking about making a custom return for it that's even wider and a bit lower.
See my reply above it fixes the issue. I'm not talking about a open piece of plastic like the weir one.

Jers_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Fellow Recife 24 owner here. Great stuff here wrt floss hanger boxes in chamber 1. Need to get something like that going vs. currently scrunching some sponge above my heater to hold up my floss. Causes water level to fluctuate as it takes up gunk.. Not a long term config. But! I did want to share one upgrade/mod that I’m pretty proud of that you all might consider.

If interested in adding more carbon and/or gfo media reactor to lower phos, there’s just enough room in the return chamber to fit a Sicci 1.5 with the stock return pump! I went with the brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-5-single, comes with the pump and a valve for $85. I use 2 18” “Orbit Flex Riser” hoses to send and return to and from chamber 4, with wall mounted shut off valves right above my tank (other options, you wouldn’t have to drill into wall to mount valves, but I’m in the basement so nbd). Standard flex hose with push fittings run from valves to canister. No leaks after ~6 months with this config!The leap of faith comes when you cut down the stock rigid return stem and then set the stock return right above the sicci 1.5. The siici send line can run right around the main return, and canister return dumps in right where display return picks up.

It’s a bit tight but totally works, and really knocks down the phos. I feed corals daily (alternate oyster feast, Reef Roids, AB+), and still maintain <0.15ppm with only about 2TBSP gfo (don’t add more or you will bottom out!). I do need some type of better flow reducer on the return, since it throws up a decent wave after shortening the throw.. All good fun!
CAC10514-574F-44A9-BD92-CA64469399C7.jpeg

E424992E-664A-4B51-8A11-C7E5CEEBB1B5.jpeg
21EE551F-E64A-44F0-88F1-8DB53145059D.jpeg

Last edited:

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaaa! Coincidently, I just stumbled on your question. I have an AquaTop Recife 24g (bought used) that I've had up since March. For many months, I've had it running as a FOWLR tank with a pair of clowns, a goby, and snails. It set up to be an observation tank for an upcoming big tank build. I think the stock light was awesome for fish, but made me nervous for corals. Recently, I needed to move some coral out of my IM Nuvo 20 into the AquaTop, so I put an AI PrimeHD over that tank to match lighting with the other tank. It looks better.

Also, and why I was searching Aquatop, was because I HATE the foam insert and the baskets!! I want to run a Tunze 9001 skimmer in the middle chamber, so I need to get the baskets out. And, I want to install the a media basket in the first chamber to run filter floss, carbon, etc... and mostly get rid of the foam. I have actually been emailing with InTank all morning. I'll have an answer for you shortly on what media basket to use in the first chamber.
I have the same tank all the place I bought from said is that you should replace the light and protein skimmer HAVENT found a fitting skimmer yet but the Kessel A80 is the best light for this aquarium in my opinion

PGD123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank all the place I bought from said is that you should replace the light and protein skimmer HAVENT found a fitting skimmer yet but the Kessel A80 is the best light for this aquarium in my opinion
Aquatop make a 2nd gen (bt pro skim skimmer) for this now - can buy on their site, works well in and fits the recife 24/40...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back