Aquavitro Element M noise

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I set up a Aquavitro Element M reactor with Seachem's matrix carbon today. It is too soon to offer a lot of feedback, but the one thing that I noticed is the noise from the ball in the chamber by the pump? I've heard this mentioned before, but once you set it up yourself it becomes real. :(

I think I can deal with the noise for now, but this isn't for someone who wants a silent system. I know that the valve can control the flow going through the media, but is there a way to dial it in to limit the ball from bouncing around and making noise?

On the bright side, it has a fairly small footprint and fits into the center chamber of my 36-gallon Reef Octopus sump along with a Reef Octopus skimmer.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish are often louder than my pumps, anyway (lol). I gather it's a plastic ball bouncing around?
Yes. I need to dig in more to understand the reactor more. There is a chamber where the pump feeds into and the water can go into the reactor or out the relief valve. The chamber isn't wide open and does have some limitations where the ball can go. It isn't like it is a constant chatter, but still more noise than anticipated. I will continue to monitor and make minor adjustments to see if I can dial it in.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a few days of setting up the Aquavitro Element M I still haven't figured out the noisy ball (not that I have tried very hard), but the tank is appreciating the matrix carbon in the reactor and the water is noticeably clearer! I'll take the small wins were I can get them!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ball is a back flow prevention Device. If your using the sponges in the chamber with your media just take the ball out of the pump connection area.
Good feedback - thank you! The tank is still loving the extra carbon so I'll work on taking the ball out this weekend.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Mattiejay6 - thanks again for the tip! I took the ball out today and seems to have no negative effects. Of course, there is the positive effect of no more noise!

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the Element Z reactor today (zeolite) and had the same issue. That plastic ball didn’t last 5 minutes before I pulled it.

Although, the water exiting the reactor is so dang loud. Did you have an issue with this?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back