aquavitro

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody used these products and are they any good.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Aquavitro and Seachem, as with many hobby suppliers, have some good products, and some marginal to poor products, either in design or description. I'd advise to pick specific products, not brands overall.

Aquavitro has Balance, which is a fine product if it were sold as a high pH alk supplement, but, incredibly and totally incorrectly, it says

"raises pH without affecting calcium and alkalinity"

They also have Aquavitro Calcification, which is an incredibly poorly designed product.

Unfortunately, the polygluconate may provide some alkalinity, but no one can definitively say how much since it depends on how fully it is metabolized, and Aquavitro doesn't even allow you to estimae since it doesn't say how much is added in this product. IMO, another one to strongly avoid. I pointed this out to them years ago at Seachem (Reef Calcium is similar) and they have never added alkalinity to the product description. Unbelievable.

These sorts of issues really makes me angry. Any company should know better, and it reflects really badly on their reputation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one go about picking the right products.

Read independent comments, ask here, understand what they actually are and not just what they claim, etc. :)

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody used these products and are they any good.
I have had good results using Fuel using 1/2 the recommended dose and spreading it out on a daily basis. Corals looked more colorful. I run my nutrients toward the low end so it was probably more noticeable.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a regular user of eight four and calcification. Tank stays stable with both. I test often and dose accordingly. Many good products out there that can be used. One person will say it's great, another will disprove there claims. Once you find what works for your tank then stick with it. Aquavitro, red sea, aquaforest, ESV, many good products.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a regular user of eight four and calcification. Tank stays stable with both. I test often and dose accordingly. Many good products out there that can be used. One person will say it's great, another will disprove there claims. Once you find what works for your tank then stick with it. Aquavitro, red sea, aquaforest, ESV, many good products.

Have you ever tracked to see how much alk you are using via the eight four relative to the calcium in the calcification?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tracked to see how much alk you are using via the eight four relative to the calcium in the calcification?
I use more eight four but I don't specifically. I'll keep track for a week and post back. I might need a reminder @Randy Holmes-Farley ;) For now I dose 30ml of eight four daily broken in 2 parts and 20ml of calcification every 2 days. My alk stays right about 10dkh and calcium at 420ish.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Randy, some Seachem products and very good and some not so much.

I'm using the Salinity salt mix right now because it mixes to parameters that I like.
1/2 cup per gallon mixes to 1.026 sg. It's a very concentrated mix so you need to use it pretty fast or the alk will precipitate to a lower dkh. Also it goes into the tank cloudy, but clears in a few hours. You can't buy it online so it's one way to support my local reef shop.

I also like Purigen / Reef Advantage cal powder / Reef Builder alk powder and Reef Advantage mag crystals.

I'd stay away from the Seachem Reef Buffer and not a big fan of Phosguard.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have nearly the whole line and very happy with concentrations and results. Although not necessary, I refridgerate my open bottles to assure freshness

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using aquavitro phosfiltrum GFO and biofiltrum biopellets. So far so good. The biopellets sink immediately and tumble nicely.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Salinity for a few years. I've since switched to Fritz Reef Pro and I have to say I won't switch back. Corals seem to be just fine with it. The Fritz mixes far better in far shorter time. I recently topped off with to much fresh water and had to bring my salinity back up. I used the last bit of Fritz with about 2 .5 gallons of water and it mixed clear within an hour. I had some left over Salinity and did the same thing 2 days later. The Salinity was still cloudy after 2 hours.

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use more eight four but I don't specifically. I'll keep track for a week and post back. I might need a reminder @Randy Holmes-Farley ;) For now I dose 30ml of eight four daily broken in 2 parts and 20ml of calcification every 2 days. My alk stays right about 10dkh and calcium at 420ish.
just curious, any interesting find?

I was scrolling through R2R for advise on eight four, and found this thread. quite intersesting, but i am curious to see if you found anything worth discussing over your 1 week period of tracking.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back