Aqueon tempered glass?

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently glued my pvc onto my tank and thought I could tilt the tank so I could silicone the internal overflow but turns out I cannot and I cracked the back of the tank. After a mental breakdown over this I took everything apart and am looking for another 40 gallon breeder. I saw though that aqueon tanks are sometimes tempered and sometimes not, I figured ill do the sunglasses test to see if its tempered in the store or not. But was just wondering if this has every failed and if anyone recently bought an aqueon tank, how its doing basically. Also does anyone know when the next dollar per gallon sale might be?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually happen about twice a year so I would say around Sept.

I don't think the sunglass trick can fail unless your sunglasses are not polarized... use a few pairs in the store.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
40 Breeder is generally not tempered.

Here is their own chart re bottom. YOu can call them to ask for each tank.

1619724238162.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always do the sunglasses test before drilling. I've drilled a few smaller Aqueon tanks without problem but never the 40. As long as you do the sunglasses test properly as far as I know it's reliable.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled qty 6 of the 40 breeders through the bottom, no issues. The chart I posted above confirms that the bottom on the 40B is non-tempered.
I didn't mean specifically the bottom. I've had Aqueons all the way up to 180 gallon. Some have tempered bottoms, some do not. I haven't come across one with tempered glass on the sides. The chart above is handy information when buying if you have plans on drilling.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently glued my pvc onto my tank and thought I could tilt the tank so I could silicone the internal overflow but turns out I cannot and I cracked the back of the tank. After a mental breakdown over this I took everything apart and am looking for another 40 gallon breeder. I saw though that aqueon tanks are sometimes tempered and sometimes not, I figured ill do the sunglasses test to see if its tempered in the store or not. But was just wondering if this has every failed and if anyone recently bought an aqueon tank, how its doing basically. Also does anyone know when the next dollar per gallon sale might be?

The dollar per gallon sale seems to happen all the time now.
I have tons of Aqueon tanks and never had one fail.
I have drilled hundreds of them and never found one tempered on the sides.
Probably bought close to fifty from Petco too.
Maybe some have but I have never.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back