arcti pods long term food source?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know that mandarins eat copepods but Ive been feeding Arcti pods lots and was wondering if this copepod in a bottle would be a good long term food source along with pellets, frozen, and the copepods it can find

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was feeding mine tigger pods after he wiped out every pod in my tank in a couple of days.... and came to the realization that i was spending 20 dollars a week to keep a 20 dollar fish alive

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was feeding mine tigger pods after he wiped out every pod in my tank in a couple of days.... and came to the realization that i was spending 20 dollars a week to keep a 20 dollar fish alive
I want to feed mine a good supplement to cope pods cause I feed other things too

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most any copepods are a good food source for them. Tigger, tisbee, apocyclopse, arcti etc. It's a losing/expensive proposition to keep buying it. If your tank is large enough with plenty of live rock you could get a self sustaining population going if you feed it consistently (i.e. dose phyto). Best bet is to culture your own pods and phyto to support the fish.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know that mandarins eat copepods but Ive been feeding Arcti pods lots and was wondering if this copepod in a bottle would be a good long term food source along with pellets, frozen, and the copepods it can find
While the dead copepods in Arcti-Pods are a good food source for manadarins, it's wise to have live copepods in the tank so that the fish has a consistent food source. You can also get mandarins to eat our TDO Chroma BOOST pellets. Most people use TDO Small for mandarins that are at least an inch long.

Some very good recommendations in this thread. We always recommend a large tank, >55 gallons, with plenty of rock for the pods to colonize. I have a captive-bred, Biota mandarin that does quite well in our 55 gallon tank. In addition to eating our Apex-Pods, which have populated the tank nicely, it also goes after our TDO Small on a daily basis. It's also a good idea to exclude other pods eaters like wrasses.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the dead copepods in Arcti-Pods are a good food source for manadarins, it's wise to have live copepods in the tank so that the fish has a consistent food source. You can also get mandarins to eat our TDO Chroma BOOST pellets. Most people use TDO Small for mandarins that are at least an inch long.

Some very good recommendations in this thread. We always recommend a large tank, >55 gallons, with plenty of rock for the pods to colonize. I have a captive-bred, Biota mandarin that does quite well in our 55 gallon tank. In addition to eating our Apex-Pods, which have populated the tank nicely, it also goes after our TDO Small on a daily basis. It's also a good idea to exclude other pods eaters like wrasses.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Chad
perf3ct. Where can I go about buying these magical pellets?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! I just noticed that you are in Canada. We are not yet cleared to sell TDO into your country. :confused: Sorry about that!
Ah. Do you have any other products A captive bred mandarin might enjoy? I know I use your tigger pods and phyto which are pretty good but was wondering you had any other food sources that are sustainable and good for the mandarin

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Do you have any other products A captive bred mandarin might enjoy? I know I use your tigger pods and phyto which are pretty good but was wondering you had any other food sources that are sustainable and good for the mandarin
Besides Arcti-Pods, our Tigger-Feast is also great for them. This food is concentrated Tigger-Pods that are no longer alive. It's biomass is equivalent to 54 bottles of Tigger-Pods. It's a very unique product in the industry. Here is a link to the product: https://reefnutrition.com/products/tiggerfeast. If you don't have a store that carries it, you may purchase from us directly. Thanks for asking!

Chad

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
start training your mandarin to take frozen.

I just saw my mandarins ate frozen bloodworm last night. Been trying to feed them for a week now.
Just make sure you have enough pods during this training period.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
start training your mandarin to take frozen.

I just saw my mandarins ate frozen bloodworm last night. Been trying to feed them for a week now.
Just make sure you have enough pods during this training period.
Mines trained on frozen, pellets, live, and homemade foods now. I just want to feed other things too

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides Arcti-Pods, our Tigger-Feast is also great for them. This food is concentrated Tigger-Pods that are no longer alive. It's biomass is equivalent to 54 bottles of Tigger-Pods. It's a very unique product in the industry. Here is a link to the product: https://reefnutrition.com/products/tiggerfeast. If you don't have a store that carries it, you may purchase from us directly. Thanks for asking!

Chad
how much tigger Feast should I add each feeding?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much tigger Feast should I add each feeding?
That's a tough one to answer since people's fish consume food at different rates. However, I recommend starting off with no more than like 1/8 of a TSP, or a few drops at first. You can increase the dose over time.

Chad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back