Are AI Primes and Noopysche Lights making Blackbox lights go the way of VHS Tapes?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOPYSCHE K7 PROii
~$149/headunit

Roll that beautiful bean-footage:

Hcd4cfe6013c44a4aa522f6ab5bdcabcef.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg
20201212_123845.jpg HTB15CDcbirxK1RkHFCcq6AQCVXav.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg

----------------

AI PRIME 16HD
~$210/headunit

Roll that beautiful bean-footage:

prime16hd-reef-bottom-black-1200x1200.jpg
212458-aiprime-prime-16hd-black-led-lighting-an.jpg
20201212_131432.jpg
ai_prime_16hd_white_2.jpg

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel with the prices of LED lights that have engineering and studies behind them are coming down, the black box labeled light is on its way out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am split between these two lights for my new tank. My LFS steered me towards the Noopsyche and more away from the Prime. Opinions appreciated!
I own three Noop headunits.

An ADVANTAGE Noop has is light spread. With two light led farms per unit it covers 2ft squared great

The headunits and the quality of the light spectrum is awesome.

During my viewing time I'm at 90% blues, 7% whites, 0% purple (bc UV makes a muddy look to the water column) and 100% red

The RED channel makes details absolutely POP. I always read that using RED grows algae, true, but if you limit red for viewing hours....cranking red to 100% makes the fish and coral look like a MILLION BUCKS

I will tell you the Remote to the Noop is clunky chunky ugly bulky.... not easy to navigate. It looks and feels like a 1992 16bit video game from Nintendo. Lol

I suggest you demo the Remote. Once you understand it, its "passable" functionwise. Fully get yo.know you only have 7-timeslots to ramp up or down. 7 is a stupid number of time slots. But 7 us sufficient just wish there were more.

All the QUALITY of Noops are in the Head units. Light quality is superb. The auto fan for heat distribution is superb. Aluminum casing is superb. Nothing feels cheap.

But the Remote does seem to be where they cut corners.

I'd fully demo both and hopefully your LFS will let you play around with light spectrums and timing on intensity

Did that help?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorta like a BMW 3-Series is not a true BMW until you get to a 5-Series? ;Blackeye
More like a Volkswagen is not a Porsche.

Not a fan of the Prime unless you have a small nano/pico tank.

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helped a ton! Sounds just like what the LFS guy was saying. The only thing that doesn’t make sense to me yet is lighting parameters because I’ve never had corals before so that is alllll new to me

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An ADVANTAGE Noop has is light spread. With two light led farms per unit it covers 2ft squared great

During my viewing time I'm at 90% blues, 7% whites, 0% purple (bc UV makes a muddy look to the water column) and 100% red

The RED channel makes details absolutely POP. I always read that using RED grows algae, true, but if you limit red for viewing hours....cranking red to 100% makes the fish and coral look like a MILLION BUCKS

I will tell you the Remote to the Noop is clunky chunky ugly bulky.... not easy to navigate. It looks and feels like a 1992 16bit video game from Nintendo. Lol

I suggest you demo the Remote. Once you understand it, its "passable" functionwise. Fully get yo.know you only have 7-timeslots to ramp up or down. 7 is a stupid number of time slots. But 7 us sufficient just wish there were more.

All the QUALITY of Noops are in the Head units. Light quality is superb. The auto fan for heat distribution is superb. Aluminum casing is superb. Nothing feels cheap.

I'd fully demo both and hopefully your LFS will let you play around with light spectrums and timing on intensity

Did that help?

It helped a ton! Sounds just like what the LFS guy was saying. The only thing that doesn’t make sense to me yet is lighting parameters because I’ve never had corals before so that is alllll new to me

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a Volkswagen is not a Porsche.

Not a fan of the Prime unless you have a small nano/pico tank.
It's all about Price-Points.... for what you get out of Noops at their price point, pretty high ratio.

Sure a Hydra or an Eco at 3x the price puts you in a different category. Not questioning that

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing an AI Prime to a black box isn't fair.

A Prime only covers an 18x18" , and it costs 209$.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in West Chester? I'm in Milford.

Go to Aquarium Artisans and ask for Tori. She is absolutely BRILLIANT bc shes been doing Marine Biology in one form or another her whole life. Worked in Hawaii for years..

She is the only person I 100% trust. If she told me to feed my tangs peanut butter, I'd ask which brand. Lololololololololol

They have Noops on display on the 215g Planet Display Tank on the right side of the store.

Ask Tori to show you the Remoteand its various settings.

Thats where I bought my Noops. Tori is the absolute b e s t

Last edited:

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in West Chester? I'm in Milford.

Go to Aquarium Artisans and ask for Tori. She is absolutely BRILLIANT bc shes been doing Marine Biology in one form or another her whole life. Worked in Hawaii for years..

She is the only person I 100% trust. If she told me to feed my tangs peanut butter, I'd ask which brand. Lololololololololol

They have Noops on display on the 215g Planet Display Tank on the right side of the store.

Ask Tori to show you the Remoteand its various settings.

Thats where I bought my Noops. Tori is the absolute b e s t

I’ve been there many times! Thinking about going over today just to stare at stuff lol they’re all pretty nice there!

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been there many times! Thinking about going over today just to stare at stuff lol they’re all pretty nice there!
If you have questions while there, get Tori's attention. Lean on her advice 100%. Ive been reefing 17yrs and she still keeps teaching me stuff. She's an absolute genius Albert Einstein with reefing questions

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND!!!! look at the Noops on their 215gal on the right side of the store separating the two SW fish sections. Have Tori show you the Remote

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did that help?

What size tank do you have them on?How many do they recommend on a 4 foot tank?

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND!!!! look at the Noops on their 215gal on the right side of the store separating the two SW fish sections. Have Tori show you the Remote
The guy I talked to last week actually did show them to me. I only looked and didn’t go any further because at the time I was still toying with the idea. But I did see them. I’ll have to go have them show me the difference.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the factories making black boxes have turned all of their efforts towards making grow lights. The aquarium market is small change next to that.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the factories making black boxes have turned all of their efforts towards making grow lights. The aquarium market is small change next to that.
I would say that your statement might be reversed.

Grow lights have been out a long time, and switching over to LED has been a long time coming as well. Growing with MH, and HPS bulbs are a day of the past, but you cannot compare with what is grown now with LED.

A lot of these BLACKBOX lights started off as grow light for another type of hobby, then they saw that the same light can grow chaeto. Now they have been fine tuning it to grow corals.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back