Cube 20 -- FIRST time reefer!

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright...here goes nothin'!

After 5 years of having a 75 gallon fish and rock canister disaster I finally have the time and resources to start my idea setup! I have spent so much time scrolling and scrolling dreaming of an nano reef in my living room. Video after video I sat and thought "how hard could it be?" Well, I'm about to find out! I bit the bullet and purchased a:

Waterbox Cube 20 with matching black stand.

My master plan is 2 - 4 fish. (mostly clowns because how cute are they!?) and easy corals.

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Slient 1.0

Lighting: Noopsyche K7 Pro II

Filtration: This is where I need opinions. LFS says run filter sock (change weekly) with bio-cube media in the center. Plain and simple. I have read so much about replacing the filter sock, refugium, etc, etc. HELP!

ATO: TBD (but definitely plan for one)

10lbs live sand

Existing live rock from my current tank

Chrisjordan004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there @513ReefGal welcome to the community! When you have a chance check out my build thread. I've got a Waterbox 20 as well and I've modified it pretty significantly, including upgrades tot he filtration and adding an ATO. Happy to help if you have any questions. Best of luck!

OP
OP
513ReefGal

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CED91A1B-CFF7-4726-852B-AD00BF1F3D95.jpeg

The FedEx fairy is the best!!! Stand comes tomorrow!

ReeferBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone really recommends using an InTank media basket in chamber 1 and ditching the filter sock. I ordered one for my WB Peninsula Mini 25. I’m going to put filter floss, Fluval biomax, and Chemi-pure blue in mine. I heard that carbon isn’t as useful because it becomes ineffective quickly.

OP
OP
513ReefGal

513ReefGal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone really recommends using an InTank media basket in chamber 1 and ditching the filter sock. I ordered one for my WB Peninsula Mini 25. I’m going to put filter floss, Fluval biomax, and Chemi-pure blue in mine. I heard that carbon isn’t as useful because it becomes ineffective quickly.
I really like the idea of this product and want to use it but I’m not keen on the idea of having to remove the filter sock pieces. I don’t like the idea of altering the tank. I know they are super small pieces and it’s minor but I’m just torn.

ReeferBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of this product and want to use it but I’m not keen on the idea of having to remove the filter sock pieces. I don’t like the idea of altering the tank. I know they are super small pieces and it’s minor but I’m just torn.
That’s fair. I would just keep using the filter sock until you know for sure you want the basket like maybe you realize it just doesn’t cut it anymore. You can always cut the sock pieces out later but it’s hard to undo. Also, technically you don’t really need the basket as it just makes changing out the media easier. You can just throw media bags down there similar to chamber 2. Then you can make a simple grate that will rest on top of the filter sock mounts and then lay a sheet of filter floss on top of that. The basket is really just for convenience I think.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back