Are all blue lights OK?

DannyBCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up a frag tank, and don’t plan on adding too many fish, only fish to clean frags, and control copepod population, but I have a question, if blue light is on 24/7 or just for 8 hours a day, what would happen!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If light isn't in the 420-460nm no growth but I dont think I'll effects.
As long as its moonlight effect for a certain period that would consider as "no light" and would let fish "sleep". I believe.....could be wrong lol

OP
OP
DannyBCorals

DannyBCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO! All blue light and no white light will screw up your corals. It forces the zooxantheallae to make too much oxygen and it is highly unlikely any of your corals will be able to deal with the resulting free radicals for any length of time.
How come Reef stores have blue lights on always though? That’s what I’m puzzled about

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will try to post this thread....it is this conversation. I'm bad with computer stuff

Screenshot_20191013-174105_Chrome.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to the thread Merkey refferenced: Effects of using only blue LEDS

To update my statements in this thread there are corals that grow deep enough they only see the blue spectrum refferenced in this thread. Sadly, since then I have seen people kill corals running only intense blue light. Corals that will do well with just blue light do not want the intensity they are likely to be subjected too in most aquariums. Another probelm is no data was given on what species did ok, what was the growth rate and what was the long term survival rate, was it a few months or was it several years?

How come Reef stores have blue lights on always though? That’s what I’m puzzled about

Unfortunately consumers have been trained to look for "pop" and pet shops have to sell corals. They're not worried about the long term effects on a corals calcification or photobiology.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a link to the thread Merkey refferenced: Effects of using only blue LEDS

To update my statements in this thread there are corals that grow deep enough they only see the blue spectrum refferenced in this thread. Sadly, since then I have seen people kill corals running only intense blue light. Corals that will do well with just blue light do not want the intensity they are likely to be subjected too in most aquariums. Another probelm is no data was given on what species did ok, what was the growth rate and what was the long term survival rate, was it a few months or was it several years?

Unfortunately consumers have been trained to look for "pop" and pet shops have to sell corals. They're not worried about the long term effects on a corals calcification or photobiology.
Thank you!

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO! All blue light and no white light will screw up your corals. It forces the zooxantheallae to make too much oxygen and it is highly unlikely any of your corals will be able to deal with the resulting free radicals for any length of time.
Riddle me this....

We all agree Jason Fox is a multimillionaire selling Signature Corals.

He is now promoting what's labeled as the "JF METHOD" of growing signature corals under all blues btwn 400nm to 500nm....no whitelight....

which btw the way, white light is the entire visible light spectrum coming g into your eyes all at the same time, blues, greens, yellows, oranges and reds..... makes up white light

I have been doing some DEEP research all of 2019. I have modified my Blacksboxes by resouldering a combo of 400nm, 420nm, 440nm, 460nm and green 520nm diodes. I'm pretty happy.

Im seeing really good growth BUT my tank us a special zoas/paly only tank.

@Timfish I'm open minded. I would like to see links explaining "too much oxygen " to actual lab testing, actual lab results.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back