Are all plastics safe in teh reef?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EpicWin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EpicWin

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
468
Reaction score
17
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i made a skimmer stand using a silverware basket I found at lowes... It is not food grade or anything like that just black plastic. I also had to silicone around the plug of my skimmer pump because it had come loose... I used reef safe silicone (rtv 108) and let it dry a week out side tank... today i came home and foudns ome sps that had previously been doing great STN... im in need of some serious advice. The tank has been super stable for months so the issues pretty much can be narrowed either to teh new skimmer or the stand..
 
Any plastic that has recycling numbers other than 1,2,4,5,&some 7s are bad if I can remember correctly. I do know that 2 is the best. There should be a stamp on the plastic with a number inside a triangle. All of this info is on the Internet.


Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
If using an unknown plastic i wouldnt use any for ref tank that doesnt have the NSF tag. Means its food safe and wont leach chemicals

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2
 
Do we all agree that egg crate is totally safe?
 
Do we all agree that egg crate is totally safe?

Some egg crates will leach phosphate. I do not use it anymore but was told if you give it a vinegar bath it will be ok.

If you can find acrylic egg crate that is preferred over polystyrene egg crate.

I actually prefer acrylic racks like The Blue Glow makes.
 
What about lighting diffuser is it definitely reef safe?
 
Im not convinced it is the skimmer or the plastic. that seems like a chemistry issue to me based on what are you seeing. double check params and params swings is my thoughts
 
It turns out it was a gfo issue. I added gfo and things went bad
 
Yep I used a little more the. The recomended because it says 2x dose is ok.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new