Are all protein skimmers created equally? HOB, in-tank, external and in sump protein skimmers

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all protein skimmers created equally (HOB, in-tank, external and in sump protein skimmers)? I currently have a coralife biocube protein skimmer. That’s the only truly viable option for the back chambers of the biocube without modifications. For the first time I’m wondering what benefit other types of protein skimmers have over the type I currently have; which I believe is categorized as in-tank. Any who, is any certain type of protein skimmer better overall or do they all generally work the same? Also, I wouldn’t mind knowing which skimmers that are considered the quietest that would work with a 32g biocube.

Info: I do currently run my biocube with the top off, so I’m open to other configurations. Additionally, I can make room under the cabinet if a good option is available as well.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles is bubbles. Feldman, et al, at Penn State looked at skimmers back in 2008-2009. Wasn't much difference between different brands. Additionally, they developed 2 different methods for teh skimmer manufacture's to quantify what a specific skimmer is doing which would enable hobbyests to actually compare one skimmer to another just like pumps can be compared on the basis of flow or pressure but neither has been adopted. Here are their articles:

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

Elemental Analysis of Skimmate

Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water

Upvote 0

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've used them all - finally settled on an in-sump internal skimmer by reef octopus.

Some brands will be better than others, i like tunze and reef octo

other differences - in terms of whats better or worse - has less to do with skimming abilities, but more to do with its practical application:

HOB - looks ugly, and overflow box is outside so has risk of flood

in tank (not in sump) - the inlet vs outlet are usually close - so you may not get the proper turnover/cycle you need unless the in tank current is strong enough. also the pump contributes to heating.

In tank (in sump) - easier to get the right turnover b/c you can direct your in and out to make sure they dont mix prematurely. still pump generate heat.

external - don't generate as much heat from pump, harder to plumb, easy to direct flow, overflow risk. takes more space.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to go Skimmerless and buy NO3 and PO4 Hanna Colorimeters and track parameters.

When out of range do a water change
I currently do weekly water changes. I’m terrified of Hanna testers. Lol!!! I bought one and after spending way too long doing the test and failing, I gave up. It’s nice to look at though. :D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, no (I’m talking to you Innovative Marine). With an AIO setup you’re somewhat limited, but I’ve heard good things about the Tunze skimmers if that’s an option.
I'll research those

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back