Are bubble tip anemones supposed to be aggressive eaters???

Discussion in 'Connecticut Area Reef Society' started by Jonathan lee, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Jonathan lee

Jonathan lee Member

Hey all! I have a question that may be dumb but its something i need to know. So basically i have a green bubble tip in my tank that eats really quick! Ive only had it for 2 weeks so im pretty new to feeding nems. I feed it a small piece of shrimp every 3 days or so and every time i feed it i realise the nem literally touches the piece of shrimp and the shrimp is gone! Maybe 4 seconds and the shrimp has disappeared. The moment the shrimp touches one of the tips, the nem pulls it in and devours it. I wanna know if its normal or not because ive watched people feeding bubbletips and they dont eat as fast as mine. Is mine just really hungry or on some drug lol. Like i see videos of people giving a bta piece of shrimp and it slowly eats it but mine downs it in less than 5 secs lol. Thanks in advance guys

2. hijinks7

hijinks7 Active Member

Mine would grab the food very quickly but take 5-10 minutes to eat it all. They are animals so each one is different.

Zack K and Jonathan lee like this.
  3. Jonathan lee

Jonathan lee Member

Ahhh i thought mine was really really hungry or something so was wondering if i should feed it more often or something. How often do you feed yours? I heard some say every 2 days and some say biweekly and some say every month.

4. hijinks7

hijinks7 Active Member

If you have good lights they can live off the light for the most part. The more you feed the larger they will get very quickly and maybe split. No one really knows why they split.. is it well feed and healthy or bad water so they are trying to save themselves? No one really knows

I had a rainbow nem that I'd trade for frags so I'd feed 3-4 times a week if I wanted it to split. If I wanted to keep it the same size I'd feed maybe twice a month.

5. Jonathan lee

Jonathan lee Member

Noted

6. Webslinger

Webslinger Active Member

I feed mine every few months, I don't want it to grow too fast or split. When I want it to split to give to a friend, i feed it every few days and it will usually split in a week or so.

Zack K and Jonathan lee like this.
  7. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Mine get fed krill Daily. Along with whatever the clowns bring to it. So mine get well fed. I can say they are always happy and full though. I actually had an Anemone split and the clone wander into a cave for a week to 10 days. Came out faded but healthy. He is making a great recovery with the feedings. More than I would have ever expected. IMG_0612.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted