Are controllers worth it for smaller tanks?

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New reefer here. I have a Nuvo 40 Fusion running for about 6 months. I am going to add an ATO, but have been also considering a controller.

Are controllers necessary to keep this tank running for years?

I have a...
Mighty jet return pump
Wavepuck 2
Neo therm heater
Ghost protein skimmer

Thanks

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having a controller on any size tank for ease of outlet control. Especially on a smaller tank I like a heater controller, as temperature swings can occur pretty quickly

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said controller can be helpful but not a necessity. I would also suggest that go with independant ato if you can (such as tunes osmolator or smart ato micro) , since it will isolate the failure domain and you get to choose what’s right for you .

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having a controller on any size tank for ease of outlet control. Especially on a smaller tank I like a heater controller, as temperature swings can occur pretty quickly
This is very informative . I have a controller on my pico but it rarely kicks in, as the heater’s internal termister pretty much keeps the temperature at 78 (+/- 0.5). Our ambient temperature is pretty stable (72-82) and that can be a factor too. Does your room temperature varies a lot? Also the tank volume and heater wattage will be another factor

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While controllers are not necessary on any tank, they can and will make your life a lot easier and assist in you being successful.

I have two reasons I am pro-controller:
1 - Heaters fail. I personally had a heater fail on my 125 to where it was always on and I went to target feed one night and my water was hot. Like 85F hot. So having my Apex gives me the peace of mind of knowing I have another device watching my back.

2 - Vacations. It is really nice to be able to check in on my tank while I'm gone and know everything's OK. I probably check my tank once a day while I'm out of town.

Reason to be anti-controller:
1 - Investment. None of the quality controllers are cheap. Whether you go Apex, Profilux, etc. If I could redo things now, I would probably get the ApexEL as I have the Apex 2016 and don't care about my ORP and I have AI Hydras so I have no need for the 0-10v control.

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very informative . I have a controller on my pico but it rarely kicks in, as the heater’s internal termister pretty much keeps the temperature at 78 (+/- 0.5). Our ambient temperature is pretty stable (72-82) and that can be a factor too. Does your room temperature varies a lot? Also the tank volume and heater wattage will be another factor
My room is pretty stable as it is in the basement.

The wavepuck I believe can be controlled via 0-10 volt, eliminating a plug. I am running current usa Marine light which does it thing well.

Is salinity not important to monitor and track? I've seen my tank change from 1.020 to 1.024 with evaporation.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here. I have a Nuvo 40 Fusion running for about 6 months. I am going to add an ATO, but have been also considering a controller.

Are controllers necessary to keep this tank running for years?

I have a...
Mighty jet return pump
Wavepuck 2
Neo therm heater
Ghost protein skimmer

Thanks
Setting up the same tank and also wondering if a controller is worth the money.
Has anyone run the reef keeper lite?
Also how do you like the ghost skimmer?

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Setting up the same tank and also wondering if a controller is worth the money.
Has anyone run the reef keeper lite?
Also how do you like the ghost skimmer?
The tank came with the midsize version. I love it. Fits perfectly into the second chamber and is quiet. Always making bubbles until water level drops. I tend to over feed because of my fish population.

Snowflake eel,yellow tang,ocularis clown, watermelon anenome,2 blue damsels, royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, and a peppermint shrimp. Funny thing, 1 damsel and the shrimp share cave with eel. I didn't want these, but someone was moving and going to let them die, so I took them.

TheWalkman99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank came with the midsize version. I love it. Fits perfectly into the second chamber and is quiet. Always making bubbles until water level drops. I tend to over feed because of my fish population.

Snowflake eel,yellow tang,ocularis clown, watermelon anenome,2 blue damsels, royal gramma, lawnmower blenny, and a peppermint shrimp. Funny thing, 1 damsel and the shrimp share cave with eel. I didn't want these, but someone was moving and going to let them die, so I took them.
What a fun stocking list!! Especially with everyone chilling in one cave.
And thanks for the info on the skimmer.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My room is pretty stable as it is in the basement.

The wavepuck I believe can be controlled via 0-10 volt, eliminating a plug. I am running current usa Marine light which does it thing well.

Is salinity not important to monitor and track? I've seen my tank change from 1.020 to 1.024 with evaporation.
Nope . Specially if the water level is same ,

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can be successful driving for years without a seatbelt, anti-lock brakes, airbags, etc. (or riding a motorcycle without a helmet). Especially so if you are a great driver. But even then there's always that one guy that pulls in front of you. . . That's what it's like when you come home from a day at the beach, open the door, and realize first, "what's that smell", and second, "why is the house so hot" (AC failed). This or any number of other things outside your control where if you knew in time, you might have been able to do something about it.

Things happen faster the smaller the tank.

It really comes down to how much risk you are willing to take for what you've put in the tank, your pets, and the time and attention you have given them.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already mentioned they're not a requirement to have a successful tank but will make things more convenient and can provide some failsafe. What I particularly liked my apex for was not only better heating control and the failsafe with that but also controlling fans for cooling. Over 79 and it kicks the fans on and shuts them off when temp is back at 78. My dumb lights were controlled by it and will automatically turn them off if somehow my fans weren't keeping up with the cooling. I also have a feed mode programmed to turn off my skimmer and leave it off an additional 5 mins after the return pump comes back on to prevent overflowing. Once set up you can manually turn something on or off anywhere where you have internet connection.

One thing to note is that you shouldn't be totally reliant on the controller as it can fail. Always have redundancy in place for the critical functions (flow, heating, cooling).

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing. I figured with my very first build a controller wouldn't be necessary or worth the expense. Not running anything too crazy on this tank.

The release of the ApexEL completely changed my mind. For the $500 it is more than worth it to me for both stability and convenience. I absolutely love having the Apex especially considering I hadn't planned on one for my tank.

I really don't think size plays a factor. You can run it with as much or as few things as you want but the sky is the limit for expandability.

I find myself checking Apex fusion quite often during the day. I love the temp and ph monitoring. Definitely love the customizable feed modes. No more unplugging or switching things off

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef keeper is discontinued if I'm not mistaken...

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way the question is worded implies that tanks need controllers once they get to a certain size. I work part time at the National Aquarium, and in my gallery the largest display is 3,600 gallons. The next is 1,800 gallons followed by 900 gallons. The only things that are automated on any of these systems are temperature control and lighting. Everything else is manual. Water changes are manual, topoffs are manual, everything. Salinity, pH, dissolved oxygen, and all the parameters we frequently test/monitored for in reef tanks are all done manually. The only things which we have electronic or analog monitors for are temperature, pump flow (in GPMs), skimmer air intake rate, ORP in the systems that run ozone, and UV sterilizer voltage. Everything else must be tested manually.

These systems are designed really intelligently. The skimmate goes right down the drain instead of collecting in a cup. Water changes are done by opening valves, not using hoses and buckets. But nothing is automated and very few things are monitored.

I personally use a controller, but only to control my heater. Controllers might make some aspects of reefkeeping easier and less tedious, but they're by no means necessary, not even on larger systems.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller need is dictated by your life not the tank size.

Only piece of equipment i wouldnt go without personally on a nano would be an ato. But thats cause i am forgetful.

Dont have the time to do something important for your corals or fish regularly. Having something to do it for you will increase your chance of success.

OP
OP
SwiftStorm

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Everyone had provided excellent information and ideas. I think I will get an ATO pretty quick and save some money for the new Apex. I do like tech gadgets also.

Right now the skimmer is always on. I've never thought of unplugging during and after feedings. This will be something to look forward to with the controller.

Forgot to mention, I have 2 small led strips in the cabinet for accent with blue lights.
IMG_20180919_200338.jpeg

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're absolutely not necessary, however if you're not strapped for cash, you can't beat having a controller on any size tank.

I bought a used Apex off of the forums here for my 13.5 gallon AIO nano tank. I am not a good example of the best way to address reef keeping practices, but I do almost nothing to my tank day to day or week to week. This is certainly due to having the apex, ATO and dosing pumps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back