Are Engineer Gobies Killers?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adult EG that's a foot long and has been a model citizen for years. I decided to add a couple 1.5-inch long baby EGs (and a few other fish) several weeks ago after my trusted LFS owner told me that adult EGs and baby EGs get along great. No worries about the big eating the small. I believed him because my big EG never ate any other small fish I added to the tank. Anyway, I added the new fish after QT and everything seemed fine for a week. Then one of the baby EGs went missing. I thought maybe he dug a burrow, but I didn't see him for days and the other baby EG was still in free-swimming mode. Then a baby blue-green chromis went missing---but I assumed that my pack of existing BGCs killed the weakest link. Then, last week, I noticed my big EG hanging outside on the sandbed like a beach bunny every day---very unlike him. He was also taking an interest (like a curious interest, not an aggressive interest) in the remaining baby EG which I thought was nice. I now haven't seen the last baby EG for over two days.
Does anyone have definitive proof that a big EG will eat smaller fish? As in, carcass found in EG's burrow or mouth? I'd like to add some other small fish, but I don't want to do so until I figure out if I have a serial killer on my hands---or just bad luck that my crabs made short work of. FYI, I think the only other fish I have that could possibly have eaten the baby EGs is a flame hawkfish, but he's not even 2 inches long himself. Many thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any recent experience with this species due to problems I've had over the years, so I avoid them now (grin). I've never had them eat small fish, but I found them too destructive with their burrows. Here is a thread though:

Jay

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any recent experience with this species due to problems I've had over the years, so I avoid them now (grin). I've never had them eat small fish, but I found them too destructive with their burrows. Here is a thread though:

Jay
Thanks Jay!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back