Are GFO and Carbon Media Reactor the same as a Bio-Pellet Reactor

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Red Sea Reefer 350. I have been looking at different pluming styles and finally narrow it down to one. So for this setup I need 3 reactors, the two that I am looking at are BRS Dual Reactors or the AquaMaxx Reactors. This brings me to my question, "are GFO and Carbon Media Reactor the same as a Bio-Pellet Reactor"? This is why I am asking, the Aquamaxx GFO and Carbon reactors look the same as the BIO- Pellet Reactors with a different price and the same with BRS Rectors. The attach file is setup I would like to have.

AquaMaxx-
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...ate_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ5311-FIFRISPR-vi.html
vs.
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMax...let_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ5111-FIFRISBP-vi.html

BRS Reactors -
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-single.html
vs.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-biopellet-reactor.html

My Goal!!! :)

32641825860_b3957f8fb7_z.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good biopellet reactors are designed to keep the biopellets suspended. As such the aquamaxx biopellet reactor has a spiral cut base that swirls the water up the reactor, this action is very efficient in keeping the biopellets suspended. It also keeps them from sticking together, which seems to be a negative thing that happens in some reactors. Basic reactors designed for filter media can prove to be difficult to get the proper adjustment necessary to keep the biopellets suspended and from sticking together.

OP
OP
RichyRich50

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that does make sense even on the website pictures, one is able to see spiral cut base. Aside from that they look the same to me however, the technical aspect of the spiral cut base makes sense. Thanks this clears it up! If I were to run 3 Reactors one carbon, One GFO and one Bio-Pellet in what order would you set it up and why?

OP
OP
RichyRich50

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to use virtually any reactor to run bio pellets.

Nice setup!
Thanks! this is really a picture I pulled form google but I want to run the same setup. One More question, If I were to run 3 Reactors one carbon, One GFO and one Bio-Pellet in what order would you set it up and why?

OP
OP
RichyRich50

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good biopellet reactors are designed to keep the biopellets suspended. As such the aquamaxx biopellet reactor has a spiral cut base that swirls the water up the reactor, this action is very efficient in keeping the biopellets suspended. It also keeps them from sticking together, which seems to be a negative thing that happens in some reactors. Basic reactors designed for filter media can prove to be difficult to get the proper adjustment necessary to keep the biopellets suspended and from sticking together.

Okay that does make sense even on the website pictures, one is able to see spiral cut base. Aside from that they look the same to me however, the technical aspect of the spiral cut base makes sense. Thanks this clears it up! If I were to run 3 Reactors one carbon, One GFO and one Bio-Pellet in what order would you set it up and why?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The order doesn't matter, because the reactors are not set up in series... which you would never want FWIW. If they were set up in series, then you would not be able to control the flow individually through each one.

I have used a standard Aquamaxx reactor as a bio pellet reactor... and it worked just fine. However, if you are buying new, then there's absolutely no reason to not buy the bio pellet reactor for the bio pellets.

OP
OP
RichyRich50

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The order doesn't matter, because the reactors are not set up in series... which you would never want FWIW. If they were set up in series, then you would not be able to control the flow individually through each one.

I have used a standard Aquamaxx reactor as a bio pellet reactor... and it worked just fine. However, if you are buying new, then there's absolutely no reason to not buy the bio pellet reactor for the bio pellets.
Oh WOW hey Broadfield, I love your tank! I been following your builds and thread for a while now. Thanks in advance for your ideas!! So funny story, I bought my Reefer 350 this Monday. So I get home all excited to build the cabinet to my luck RED SEA forgets to add the Fasteners/Screws :(. So now I am waiting for them to send me all parts to assemble the cabinet. Anyway, I am now deciding what to buy for my sump.

Question: Should I buy 3 reactors first or a Protein skimmer? Getting low on cash due to Christmas coming up so I just need something to get me by.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh WOW hey Broadfield, I love your tank! I been following your builds and thread for a while now. Thanks in advance for your ideas!! So funny story, I bought my Reefer 350 this Monday. So I get home all excited to build the cabinet to my luck RED SEA forgets to add the Fasteners/Screws :(. So now I am waiting for them to send me all parts to assemble the cabinet. Anyway, I am now deciding what to buy for my sump.

Question: Should I buy 3 reactors first or a Protein skimmer? Getting low on cash due to Christmas coming up so I just need something to get me by.

I would start with the skimmer if you have to choose. Second would be something to run GFO or similar in... even if it's just running GFO in a bag in the sump.

FWIW, I currently only run a skimmer and GFO in one of my three reactors... the other two reactors are empty.

OP
OP
RichyRich50

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the skimmer if you have to choose. Second would be something to run GFO or similar in... even if it's just running GFO in a bag in the sump.

FWIW, I currently only run a skimmer and GFO in one of my three reactors... the other two reactors are empty.

Thanks for the tip, Skimmer it is then. Would a Omega 150 Protein Skimmer - Vertex be enough to run a Reefer 350? or do recommend something else?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx biopellet reactor and I really regret it. First of all the top plates clogs ver often. Usually within three days. Second, the movement in the reactor is too fast and cause the biopellet to be consumed too quickly, which contribute to the top plate clog. If the pellets don’t move in the swirl motion, they barely move at all. So it is a lose lose situation. I have converted mine into chaeto reactor and hoping to make some use out it.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx biopellet reactor and I really regret it. First of all the top plates clogs ver often. Usually within three days. Second, the movement in the reactor is too fast and cause the biopellet to be consumed too quickly, which contribute to the top plate clog. If the pellets don’t move in the swirl motion, they barely move at all. So it is a lose lose situation. I have converted mine into chaeto reactor and hoping to make some use out it.

What is the top plate clogging with?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the aquamaxx biopellet reactors, I converted both to algae reactors. Biopellets did not work for me. I suggest doing alot of research before you pull the trigger on biopellets. You may find more people have bad experiences vs success.

OP
OP
RichyRich50

RichyRich50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I was thinking about getting 2 GFO & Carbon Reactors and one Bio-Pellet Reactor. That would make 3 in total.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back