Are GMK zoas hard to keep?

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently seen many posts about how their GMKs melted away. I experienced the same thing, and it was a great loss to the tank but also a great financial loss.
What's with GMKs then? Do they need special care requirements? Or are they more senstitive to instability?

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've recently seen many posts about how their GMKs melted away. I experienced the same thing, and it was a great loss to the tank but also a great financial loss.
What's with GMKs then? Do they need special care requirements? Or are they more senstitive to instability?
Stable params with detectable levels of phosphates and nitrates. Haven't had an issue with mine in the 6 months I've had them. Fragged them also without any issue. Maybe the one you got was in poor condition to begin with?

FrostyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first frag melted, and my second frag had two polyps and is doing great at 5 polyps now.

So 50% success rate for me!

FrostyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hearing more about these zoas, are they a new breed or something? Pictures anyone?
TIA
This is an old photo of mine, they are for sure one of the prettiest zoa's in my collection. Well worth the hype in my opinion.

PXL_20210909_155936166.jpg

StevenHasCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some success with them and some melt over the last year or so. Overall I would say they are temperamental/harder than most.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one of those I really want to try, but I'm scared to death to pull the trigger...

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went from 1p to 16p in 8 months. But, the whole colony has been closed up and only half opening for about 3 weeks now.

I think (hope) it's just a growth spurt. I'm counting what could be up to 24 polyps now if they all actually open back up.

I have 36 other types of zoas doing great in the same tank, so I don't know any other reason that JUST the GMKs would be grumpy.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally pulling the trigger on a nice GMK frag and I am wondering what conditions you guys consider ideal for them. I got the "detectable n and p" but what about par and flow? What else should I know before I kill a 5 polyp gmk frag?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in 85 PAR, moderate flow, 10-15ppm Nitrates and 0.10ppm Phosphates. They were growing really well for me (1p to 24p in less than 9 months) until a run-in with a torch really ticked them off and cost me about 8-9p. They were closed for months before I figured out what was going on. I thought they were way too far away from the torch to be an issue. Once I figured that out and gave them some distance, they're coming back pretty well for me.

I have all the other Kraks, 15 different kinds of Hornets and several other types of zoas in the same or very similar conditions, all doing well for me too.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in 85 PAR, moderate flow, 10-15ppm Nitrates and 0.10ppm Phosphates. They were growing really well for me (1p to 24p in less than 9 months) until a run-in with a torch really ticked them off and cost me about 8-9p. They were closed for months before I figured out what was going on. I thought they were way too far away from the torch to be an issue. Once I figured that out and gave them some distance, they're coming back pretty well for me.

I have all the other Kraks, 15 different kinds of Hornets and several other types of zoas in the same or very similar conditions, all doing well for me too.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I hope I don't kill them! My other zoas have been fine but l know these have a reputation for being a little bit tricky.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back