Are Hanna checkers worth it?

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the salifert ALK test and then went to the Hanna checker.

Pros.

The Hanna checker gives you a firm number every time. No guessing at when the water has changed to the correct color.

Cons.

It's not nearly as fast as was hyped. Between pre cleaning, testing and post cleaning it's a 10 minute process. I can do the salifert test in half the time.
Very true

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I am testing alkalinity a lot, almost daily to keep my dosers tuned. ...

The best solution to this problem is a KH controller. If you can at all scrape together the money for one, they are worth every penny. They test for you and adjust dosing accordingly automatically.

I use the GHL KHD Director which does not require the controller (though I run it with a Profilux 4) and can be run standalone. There are other makes out there now that do the same thing, though some require a controller as well which adds significantly to an already pretty high cost.

Not cheap but you end up with very stable alkalinity levels for a lot less work! ;Happy

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - a Must have IMO

D667D05F-7276-43C0-AF79-A1CC36F35B51.jpeg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best solution to this problem is a KH controller. If you can at all scrape together the money for one, they are worth every penny. They test for you and adjust dosing accordingly automatically.

I use the GHL KHD Director which does not require the controller (though I run it with a Profilux 4) and can be run standalone. There are other makes out there now that do the same thing, though some require a controller as well which adds significantly to an already pretty high cost.

Not cheap but you end up with very stable alkalinity levels for a lot less work! ;Happy

I test alkalinity once a week and only adjust the doser about six times a year in a fairly high demand (~2 dKh/day) system. I just don't see any reason to test it more than once a week because things just are changing drastically enough to cause issues related to alkalinity. I'd go as far to say that adjustments made to dosing based on changes that occurred in 24 hours is a good way to chase your tail in the beginning (once you have the pulse of your tank/inhabitants, it's a different story). This isn't directed at you specifically, your post just sparked a thought.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test alkalinity once a week and only adjust the doser about six times a year in a fairly high demand (~2 dKh/day) system. I just don't see any reason to test it more than once a week because things just are changing drastically enough to cause issues related to alkalinity. I'd go as far to say that adjustments made to dosing based on changes that occurred in 24 hours is a good way to chase your tail in the beginning (once you have the pulse of your tank/inhabitants, it's a different story). This isn't directed at you specifically, your post just sparked a thought.

I agree that once your tank is stable then less testing is necessary and at the beginning you need to avoid chasing numbers. With the KHD what I found was that you set a nominal KH value and then let the KHD do its thing and not to tweak it. It does take a couple of weeks to settle down.

One reason I've set the KHD to test frequently at the moment is that my upgrade was in October of last year, from a 250l tank to a 1900l tank. So as I'm dialing in the lights, filtration etc I find that the KH reading can give you a good indication of whether you're moving in the right direction ;Happy.

Jaco2420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk consumption in my recently setup reef is constantly on the move. As a result I am testing alkalinity a lot, almost daily to keep my dosers tuned. I have been using salifert for a test kit and they are cheap, like $13 for refills on amazon that last a couple months. But I am getting tired of inconsistencies. There are so many variables (The biggest issue usually being the syringe) that can throw off the reading and I am finding myself testing 2 sometimes 3 times because I get a strange off the wall reading. I really want something easier and more consistent. How are the inconsistencies with the hanna? Is it easy to mess up the results by user error? is 25 tests per regent pretty accurate?
Personally I had the salifert test kits too, but I don’t like how the drips from liquid reagent 1. I find it messes with the readings. I have a hanna checker now and I’m in love with it.

reeferDale98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Alkalinity checker is absolutely worth the investment. Yes, it is a larger upfront cost but the reagent refills are actually pretty cheap ($9). Unless you're spilling reagent, you should absolutely get 25 tests out of each bottle. It's a specific measurement for each test rather than a titration test which can vary the amount of liquid used.

As far as accuracy and consistency, as long as you keep the vial clean and follow the procedure it's incredibly accurate and hard to screw up. I clean my vial with RO water after each test and during the test make sure to wipe the vial down to remove any finger prints which could affect the results. I highly recommend getting one as it's easily the best of the Hanna checkers.
Well there $15 now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back