Are Hanna checkers worth it?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk consumption in my recently setup reef is constantly on the move. As a result I am testing alkalinity a lot, almost daily to keep my dosers tuned. I have been using salifert for a test kit and they are cheap, like $13 for refills on amazon that last a couple months. But I am getting tired of inconsistencies. There are so many variables (The biggest issue usually being the syringe) that can throw off the reading and I am finding myself testing 2 sometimes 3 times because I get a strange off the wall reading. I really want something easier and more consistent. How are the inconsistencies with the hanna? Is it easy to mess up the results by user error? is 25 tests per regent pretty accurate?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the alkalinity tester but I am not a fan of the phosphate tester. Phosphate checker has little pouches of powder for you to spill everywhere and constantly question if you got it all in the vial. The alkalinity checker was the best thing since sliced bread... until I got a magnetic stirrer. I test with titration (Red Sea) if I need a quick result and hanna about once a week. For the alkalinity checker I would say it is pretty simple but there needs to be a strict methodology.

I found some variance was fairly heavily swayed by a few things: Any smudges on the vials, lighting and testing in the same location, keeping the reagent container open for any amount of time and my inability to read a dosing syringe correctly for... 3 years. If you hate titration, go for it.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Alkalinity checker is absolutely worth the investment. Yes, it is a larger upfront cost but the reagent refills are actually pretty cheap ($9). Unless you're spilling reagent, you should absolutely get 25 tests out of each bottle. It's a specific measurement for each test rather than a titration test which can vary the amount of liquid used.

As far as accuracy and consistency, as long as you keep the vial clean and follow the procedure it's incredibly accurate and hard to screw up. I clean my vial with RO water after each test and during the test make sure to wipe the vial down to remove any finger prints which could affect the results. I highly recommend getting one as it's easily the best of the Hanna checkers.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get a lot of different answers, but in my experience the Hanna ALK tester is definitely easier to use, but no more accurate (I am starting to think even less) than the Red Sea or Salifert tests. I have tried back to back tests with both the Hanna ALK and phosphorous tests...I rarely get the same results twice.....often falling outside of their margin for error.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2:
Alkalinity - tester is great - easy to do and consistent and hopefully precise.
PO - many people find it hard to use powder sachets (my personal experience I watched instructions youtube and have no problems with them). Biggest plus: most PO tests are chromatic and based on blue shade comparison ... most reefers suck at differentiating blue shades. Hence digital evaluation of 'blueness' is widely preferred.

Also:
Copper - I personally do not have it but my LFS does and ... considering what nonsense is manual test-kit is I fully understand why it is used.

Had not tired others

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get a lot of different answers, but in my experience the Hanna ALK tester is definitely easier to use, but no more accurate (I am starting to think even less) than the Red Sea or Salifert tests. I have tried back to back tests with both the Hanna ALK and phosphorous tests...I rarely get the same results twice.....often falling outside of their margin for error.

I would consider contacting Hanna about that one. I have the PPM alkalinity unit and I often will get exactly the same result checked 3 times in a row. A 1 ppm variation would translate to a difference in alkalinity of about 0.05-0.06.

The ULR phosphorous and ULR phosphate are very good as well IMO. There are some tricks of the trade for making sure you get all the powder in but it's not difficult. I'll try to do a video of that and post it soon.

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. While its hard to say about PO consistency as results on my LR are almost always 0. My alk tester (ppm variety) results are within +-1 or +-0.06 dKh while doing multiple tests.
Please checkout R2R articles on testing - there are tips to improve hana checker consistency (though i personally do not use them like articles recommend: marking and using exact same curette in exactly the same way).
your reagent could also be bad

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider contacting Hanna about that one. I have the PPM alkalinity unit and I often will get exactly the same result checked 3 times in a row. A 1 ppm variation would translate to a difference in alkalinity of about 0.05-0.06.

The ULR phosphorous and ULR phosphate are very good as well IMO. There are some tricks of the trade for making sure you get all the powder in but it's not difficult. I'll try to do a video of that and post it soon.
I might have to contact Hanna......I agree.....if you cut the little pouch filled with powder along the lines, it is easy to get it all into the vial. I don't think that is the issue. I keep the vials filled with RO/DI water until they are used to make sure they stay clean. I don't know........I compare using Red Sea and the Red Sea numbers never change since I am using my own eyes. The Hanna always changes lol. Very possible it is user error in some way.......it isn't rocket science though :-(

tmynice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, second only to my Milwaukee salinity tester. Two essential tools for the hobby IMO

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk consumption in my recently setup reef is constantly on the move. As a result I am testing alkalinity a lot, almost daily to keep my dosers tuned. I have been using salifert for a test kit and they are cheap, like $13 for refills on amazon that last a couple months. But I am getting tired of inconsistencies. There are so many variables (The biggest issue usually being the syringe) that can throw off the reading and I am finding myself testing 2 sometimes 3 times because I get a strange off the wall reading. I really want something easier and more consistent. How are the inconsistencies with the hanna? Is it easy to mess up the results by user error? is 25 tests per regent pretty accurate?

I was using salifert and recently switched over to Hannah alk and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Once you get it down (which will be quick) you can test your alk in less than 2 minutes.

Also, buy the refills at BRS. Considerably cheaper than amazon

tmynice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Hannah Alk and love it.

Tell me more about why you're such a fan of the Mil salinity tester, if you don't mind :)
Just so easy, and accurate..... Only thing you have to do is remember to clean the lens after use. I have had a couple different hydrometers they would stick take time, reading could vary..... So much so I had gotten in the habit of testing twice to verify the reading. The Mil, I put a small amount in the well, hit a button, wipe it out. So easy, and so far always consistent. 0 frustration or guessing.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity tester is awesome, like someone else said, you can get the same results with salifer but the digital readout and ease of test are totally worth it.

The phosphate checker is a must have imo. Its not hard to do and you do not spill if you prepare the pack before hand, cut along the lines and form a funnel, it all goes in the tube easily. Very useful.

Drneil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased the Alk checker and it's been one of the best things I've bought in a while. I do my testing at night when the kids are in bed. It was never easy to hit the same mark everytime with the red sea under my room lights. Hanna just makes it so much easier.

I've also got the ULR PO and the Calcium that I picked up from a reefer who was shutting down. No problems with the PO and have never spilt any of the powder. I've adopted a trick of folding the long edge to pour it in.

Calcium on the other hand, a nightmare to use, tried it a few times and never used since. I could have sold it to a local reefer, but I was honest with my experience and convinced him not to buy it.

I would agree the only downside to the hanna is keeping the glass clean. I bought a couple of soft clothes for glasses to give them a polish before using.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back