Are MH lights going extinct?

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something, I think BRS, where MH may not even be produced soon. I also was reluctant to switch, but glad I did. I just order some t5’s to supplement for my sps.
Hope your new setup goes well! I didn’t read all 7 pages so this may have all already been talked about. :)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw something, I think BRS, where MH may not even be produced soon. I also was reluctant to switch, but glad I did. I just order some t5’s to supplement for my sps.
Hope your new setup goes well! I didn’t read all 7 pages so this may have all already been talked about. :)
Unless the government completely outlaws metal halide, it won't go away. Even then they can still produce and import them since it would be considered a specialty bulb. That is how T12s stayed around so long if I'm remembering correctly.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say on my 2g cube reef it would be pretty silly to use anything but LEDs....

While I have posted several times that I think people should run what they want but at the same time not ignore pros/cons that every style has, LEDs have really opened up the world of nanos and picos to hard corals where it was pretty challenging before to light and not overheat. Not that it wasn't done before of course, but they have been amazing in this area of the hobby.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/it’s-jarring-2g-jar-pico.334396/

Just a silly jar but I have had more fun with this system than my 120 or 60.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Wow ... what a adrenaline read!!! :eek: MH vs LED vs PC ... I still have my old AquaMedic double ended MH light fixtures in the basement and if you ask me to sell or give it away? No way would I betray or forgive myself (getting rid of MH) for what a darn good & closest to the sun ray spectrum replicator light fixture that has proven itself time and time over the many years, that all corals (and us old schoolers alike too) thrive on it's "shim shimmery"!!
No nonsense installation ... hang to desired height whenever, preference of either single or double ended MH bulbs, personal MH bulb Kelvin of choice, guaranteed & evidence of coral health and natural color growth
Downside: Too much heat, may require a chiller or fan to dissipate heat, hydro bill cost, VHO or ReefBrite LED to enhance corals color pop out effect, most times one gets the arm or arms burned by MH lights ;Woot
I'm old school still although I'm on T5's right now .... but may consider brushing off the dust and cobweb and let my old MH shine again!!! :D

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the government completely outlaws metal halide, it won't go away. Even then they can still produce and import them since it would be considered a specialty bulb. That is how T12s stayed around so long if I'm remembering correctly.

Not entirely but market forces will have a substantial impact in what is/not available. The company mentioned in my original post in ceasing their production was a direct result of this.

OP
OP
greg1786

greg1786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.....I never intended for this thread to spiral off into the LED vs MH debate. I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with anyone. For the record I did state from the beginning that this thread was NOT intended to compare the two. I have ZERO issue against leds or any other lighting. I'm also not ignorant to the hobby or the huge advancements the industry has made in tech. For those who have made MEANINGFUL contributions to my original topic thank you very much.

Anyhow I can't remember who asked but yes...I did go to that fish place lol so good guess! I like the idea of sharing halide stories and while,mine is not necessarily a story I wanted to share this monster light with you guys. It is an aquamedic ocean light 3x250w plus 2x150w all DE 72" fixture. The first photo is my tank 3 years ago before it crashed and burned....and the 2nd pic is the tank today. I'm not sure if you can see in the 1st pic I had retrofitted 4 48" t5ho bulbs and reflectors for some actinic supplements. I have removed them in the new set up. 0303152109_zpsug4j4bcf.JPG 1017172043_HDR.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not entirely but market forces will have a substantial impact in what is/not available.

That's exactly right. At some point there won't be enough reefers using MH to justify continuing to make the equipment. The choices certainly seem more limited today than even a few years ago. I'd liken it to tube amplifiers. I run a pair and I have had them modified twice to accept different vacuum tubes because the orginals were not made anymore. It's quite remarkable, actually, that anybody still makes vaccum tubes; mainly because, apparently, they are still in high demand in Russia. Is there a big Russian reefing contingent LOL

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly right. At some point there won't be enough reefers using MH to justify continuing to make the equipment. The choices certainly seem more limited today than even a few years ago. I'd liken it to tube amplifiers. I run a pair and I have had them modified twice to accept different vacuum tubes because the orginals were not made anymore. It's quite remarkable, actually, that anybody still makes vaccum tubes; mainly because, apparently, they are still in high demand in Russia. Is there a big Russian reefing contingent LOL
"
This is a good comparison. Tube amps were replaced 60 years ago with transistor radios. For most, they are "good enough" to be great, but still in the highest end of amps, the tube offers the best quality and has a small but healthy market. You can spend upwards of 100k on a pair of amps for a HI-FI system. Is it worth it?! For people who can hear a difference and can afford it, YES!!!

With all that said, for the vast majority of people, LED makes sense. But for the most discerning, MH is still the gold standard. After all the arguments comparing the two, I have never heard anyone argue otherwise. The general argument is they are hot and expensive and LED is "good enough" to be just as good. Personally for me, I can tell a vast difference, and have seen good looking corals in a LED lit tank, but I just don't like the look of LED. Unless LED makes vast improvements, it will be a sad day for the hobby if/when MH really does go away.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.....I never intended for this thread to spiral off into the LED vs MH debate. I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with anyone. For the record I did state from the beginning that this thread was NOT intended to compare the two. I have ZERO issue against leds or any other lighting. I'm also not ignorant to the hobby or the huge advancements the industry has made in tech. For those who have made MEANINGFUL contributions to my original topic thank you very much.

Anyhow I can't remember who asked but yes...I did go to that fish place lol so good guess! I like the idea of sharing halide stories and while,mine is not necessarily a story I wanted to share this monster light with you guys. It is an aquamedic ocean light 3x250w plus 2x150w all DE 72" fixture. The first photo is my tank 3 years ago before it crashed and burned....and the 2nd pic is the tank today. I'm not sure if you can see in the 1st pic I had retrofitted 4 48" t5ho bulbs and reflectors for some actinic supplements. I have removed them in the new set up. 0303152109_zpsug4j4bcf.JPG 1017172043_HDR.jpg
Stunning tank! That would be been a great pic to show the unprofessional staff member who couldn't help you;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back