Are MH lights going extinct?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pointed out anyone who uses halide light fixtures. You did specify the OP or anyone else for that matter. You people? I don't know what that means even. I am not easily offended nor am I taking it personal, and I agree that society is out of control with all the PC crap. However, under no circumstances does that justify you calling me or anyone ignorant for our choice lights. Had you prefaced the statement a bit clearer, there might not have been any misunderstanding. I have researched and tried leds, I stated i tried Rapidled and used 4 units.
I have not missed any point, trust me. I see your point I am only saying clarification on who you directed your "ignorant" statement could have saved the confusion. I guess that is something that US people just do.....(id insert some emoji but I am not in the mood)

corey

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the one getting offended for no reason, I didn't single anyone out and I used the tongue out emoji to show my comments are in jest. And the definition needed to be posted because you people are twisting my words around. YOU are the one taking this personally, if the word ignorant offends you that much, how do you function in society? This is insane that everything has to be so PC. Un-informed is a synonym of ignorant, is that offensive too? What adjective should I have used to describe a situation where someone clearly states they have been out of it for 3 years and can't understand why people use LED? If you have researched and or tried LEDs, then you wouldn't be ignorant now would you? You get offended so easily that you have missed the whole point. In fact, I am offended that you are putting words in my mouth - I never called anyone sheep and Stockholm Syndrome doesn't mean anything close to that.
Was your original statement to actually be helpful or to start nonsense? I don't see how your choice of words helped anyone here on this thread and it's obvious others agree. Defend your words how you want, calling people ignorant doesn't belong here and uncalled for. Not trying to continue this debacle any longer. Happy reefing everyone and use what ever light you prefer, old school or not.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just like you didn't reference the OP in your statement where you called me ignorant. So your statement was directed at me and all other halide users, there was no mention of "not doing research prior to purchasing is ignorant."

I absolutely did reference the OP - "If I was out of the hobby for 3 years".

I also mentioned doing research about LEDs - "Anyway, maybe you should give some quality LEDs a shot is all I'm saying. MH are nice, I've used them before - But if you can get a similar result in addition to reducing heat and electricity - Is that MH "shimmer" really worth it?"

Again, stop twisting my words around and reading what you want.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used LEDs for years (before they were cool even.) Tried all sorts of brands and combos. Mixed and matched spectrums best we could then. I ran multiple blues, white, magenta and violet. I had some of the widest spectrum available at the time. It was unheard of to use more than just white and blue. I had decent success but something was off overall. I then switched to a different brand touting it was the best spectrum available. Still not right. Switched again. Nope, still off. I then visited multiple stores and reefers with LEDs. They were all off to my eye.

Now I've got halide and T5 again and absolutely love it! I've yet to see an LED even come close for my eyes and what I like.

If that makes me ignorant and uninformed, good

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your original statement to actually be helpful or to start nonsense? I don't see how your choice of words helped anyone here on this thread and it's obvious others agree. Defend your words how you want, calling people ignorant doesn't belong here and uncalled for. Not trying to continue this debacle any longer. Happy reefing everyone and use what ever light you prefer, old school or not.

Stop making the word ignorant out to be offensive. If I wanted to offend anyone, there are much better words than that.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used LEDs for years (before they were cool even.) Tried all sorts of brands and combos. Mixed and matched spectrums best we could then. I ran multiple blues, white, magenta and violet. I had some of the widest spectrum available at the time. It was unheard of to use more than just white and blue. I had decent success but something was off overall. I then switched to a different brand touting it was the best spectrum available. Still not right. Switched again. Nope, still off. I then visited multiple stores and reefers with LEDs. They were all off to my eye.

Now I've got halide and T5 again and absolutely love it! I've yet to see an LED even come close for my eyes and what I like.

If that makes me ignorant and uninformed, good

Again, more people twisting my words around. If you have researched and tried other methods, that wouldn't be ignorance now would it?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again, more people twisting my words around. If you have researched and tried other methods, that wouldn't be ignorance now would it?
Your exact quote, " I don't understand why anyone would be proud to be "Old School" - That doesn't imply your are experienced, it says that your are being intentionally ignorant."

"Anyone" refers to all of us. So none of us are twisting your words. Maybe you didn't put your sentences in the correct order?

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close this thread, this discussion will go no where. We can't have an intelligent debate when everyone gets their feelings hurt this easily.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your exact quote, " I don't understand why anyone would be proud to be "Old School" - That doesn't imply your are experienced, it says that your are being intentionally ignorant."

"Anyone" refers to all of us. So none of us are twisting your words. Maybe you didn't put your sentences in the correct order?

Seriously? Did you miss the part where i said " If you have researched and tried other methods, that wouldn't be ignorance now would it?"

You ARE twisting my words around, the word being "ignorant" and not the word "Anyone".

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Close this thread, this discussion will go no where. We can't have an intelligent debate when everyone gets their feelings hurt this easily.
Who has had their feelings hurt?

It's tough to have an intelligent conversation when we're all ignorant. I'll give you that

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has had their feelings hurt?

It's tough to have an intelligent conversation when we're all ignorant. I'll give you that

I find it offensive that you are stating that I called everyone ignorant, in addition to your snarky comment of "Maybe you didn't put your sentences in the correct order?". Since when is it acceptable to lie and say I said things that I didn't?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we all get back on track and admit the best lighting of all time is power compact and anyone who doesn't use it stinks and I know the best of anyone ever so use PC!

I hope you don't leave. Idk why lighting especially brings out nasty but I hate that too and like r2r because it's not nasty like reef central. Well most the time.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we all get back on track and admit the best lighting of all time is power compact and anyone who doesn't use it stinks and I know the best of anyone ever so use PC!

I hope you don't leave. Idk why lighting especially brings out nasty but I hate that too and like r2r because it's not nasty like reef central. Well most the time.
I agree, nothing like that PC glow! :D I still have the old quad PC fixture, lol.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why lighting especially brings out nasty but I hate that too and like r2r because it's not nasty like reef central. Well most the time.

It’s the fanboyism, blindly believing that there is an end all solution, compounded by people getting their feelings hurt when it’s called out. Ford vs Chevy, Xbox vs ps4, every group has its own pretty much.

I would have made similar comments if the situation was in reverse - A new reefer believing that LEDs are absolutely the best. I would point out that there is a reason that MH are still a popular choice and that there are many different factors to consider when lighting a tank and that many of them come down to personal preference.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, nothing like that PC glow! :D I still have the old quad PC fixture, lol.

Really? My PC glow sux

20171120_230343.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back