Are mollies better at eating algae than lawnmower blennys?

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I've always wondered if their is a better alternative to lawnmower blennys, mollies are cheap breed easily and come in nicer colors than a lawnmower blenny, they have numbers so maybe one might not make much of a difference a few definitely can make a difference.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adapted some scat to saltwater to aide in killing aiptasia.. they don’t touch them, but they pick at the rock about as much as my tangs do

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you call algae. Algae blennies are strictly detrivores and algae only makes up a small proportion of their diet (this is the same with ctenochaetus tangs who have special rasping teeth, and hence why the two don't generally get on). If by algae you really mean algae "algae" then mollies are probably better due to the arguments from other above.
If you want something specifically for algae then you are far better off getting snails or an urchin.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you call algae. Algae blennies are strictly detrivores and algae only makes up a small proportion of their diet (this is the same with ctenochaetus tangs who have special rasping teeth, and hence why the two don't generally get on). If by algae you really mean algae "algae" then mollies are probably better due to the arguments from other above.
If you want something specifically for algae then you are far better off getting snails or an urchin.
by algae I mean stuff like hair algae spot algae and other nuisance algaes.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by algae I mean stuff like hair algae spot algae and other nuisance algaes.

This is where the definition becomes really important. They might eat a little hair algae but their main wild diet is film like algaes, diatoms, cyano etc rather than filamentous algaes. So they may help with a small amount of hair algae if it's short, or other algaes but they aren't the best choice for an algae control fish.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 baby wild mollies smaller than my pinky fingernail cleaned all this hair algae up in 7 days. I moved the rock a bit after they had it picked clean
6FCB7A7E-2BD9-4D18-A1E1-25FCD053E548.jpeg
194856DE-A17B-4966-9ABD-8564FC0298E1.jpeg

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry it took me so long to get to you I was just on other threads helping people or I wasn't online. I love this I have had young mollies in a reef but they never lasted because I have a bangai cardinal and he eats them in a heartbeat.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back