Are my Clowns expecting?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this pair for close to 4 years and now spawned. Will they make it? Will the parents raise the fry?

Clown 1.jpg Clown 2.jpg Clown 3.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,congrats,unfortunatly ,no they will not,must research ,raising :)

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the eggs to maturity
can be difficult process, and doubt
they will survive inside the DT.
Once the eggs release, factors including other
predators and fish will most likely eat them. Also,
they will be sucked up into the overflow or filter
and die. Do some research on how to build a fry tank, you will need some supplies. Their
mouths are too small for any normal
fish food product, so phyto and small pods dosing is required to feed. Its a very difficult
process and can go wrong easily, so be careful.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are not like discus which take care of the fry and feed them.

It’s a lot of work rearing the fry to an age that you can sell. Daily water changes which cannot be skipped, so think of he expense on the WC alone. Then add in the cost and time to make food.

Then more working finding buyers for them if you don’t sell to a store for next to nothing. It’s not for everyone.

But the joy and experience of raising your own batch and then getting 80% or more of the eggs to juvenile phase is priceless.

OP
OP
anthonygf

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are not like discus which take care of the fry and feed them.

It’s a lot of work rearing the fry to an age that you can sell. Daily water changes which cannot be skipped, so think of he expense on the WC alone. Then add in the cost and time to make food.

Then more working finding buyers for them if you don’t sell to a store for next to nothing. It’s not for everyone.

But the joy and experience of raising your own batch and then getting 80% or more of the eggs to juvenile phase is priceless.
I have a small fish hatchery that I use for freshwater, it goes inside the DT. I will try that. If I manage to raise them large enough my LFS will take them and give me store credit, I do that with my coral frags.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The first 2 clutches for sure are a learning experience for the parents
Once you know how often they are laying place a flower pot in tank which they should utilize for next batch of eggs and transfer to a separate tank for raising the fry along with the parents

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been laying eggs for years. And they get really grumpy if you clean around them to closely. Good luck with your new tank.

Is that your cat? Cute guy.
Shelley

OP
OP
anthonygf

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been laying eggs for years. And they get really grumpy if you clean around them to closely. Good luck with your new tank.

Is that your cat? Cute guy.
Shelley
Thanks! That was several years ago when he was 2, he is very trainable and thinks he is a dog. We played fetch when he was young, I through his tow down the hall he would run to get it and return it to me, now he is 8 and he is a handful, won't play fetch anymore:( He is a fat cat, likes to heat. Now when he wants his treats he has to work for them, I will grab one piece at a time and shoot it on the floor across the kitchen and he runs and chases it like it was prey. He still gets his exercise with that and the laser. In that picture I was brushing my teeth and my wife came in and captured that shot.

OP
OP
anthonygf

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That was several years ago when he was 2, he is very trainable and thinks he is a dog. We played fetch when he was young, I through his tow down the hall he would run to get it and return it to me, now he is 8 and he is a handful, won't play fetch anymore:( He is a fat cat, likes to heat. Now when he wants his treats he has to work for them, I will grab one piece at a time and shoot it on the floor across the kitchen and he runs and chases it like it was prey. He still gets his exercise with that and the laser. In that picture I was brushing my teeth and my wife came in and captured that shot.
I meant likes to EAT! :)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cats are wonderful. They are in charge though. Our cat sleeps wherever she wants. Guest bed. Numerous cat trees. Our bed. Even the dogs beds. She is the first to eat every morning also. Your kitty is adorable. Even chubby. Glad you are exercising him.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once clowns become a mated pair and start laying eggs, as long as they are kept healthy, they will lay eggs roughly every two weeks in a reef tank, but without human intervention, the eggs/fry will not survive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back