Are my fishes too fat

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My fishes are very healthy, Yellow Tang, Convict Tang, Magnificent Foxface, Square back Anthias, sailfin Blenny are all fat. Very much so that all who come and visit makes the same remark, so i'm wondering if its possible to have fishes that are too fat.

By the way i have no trouble with parameters of any kind and no nitrates or phosphate issues either. I feed twice a day. Multiple sources. Grazer ring, veg clip with different algae , and either Flakes, or Frozen Spirulina mysis . Plus they graze all day on the rocks. I have ahuge clean up crew as well that does a great job no problem there either.

I'm just wondering if i should augment my waterflow for more exercise...

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they extremely bloated like they have worms?

No they're healthy, the other guys and i can see that. They just are a bit chubby. I've just red its good to skip a day of feeding when they're like that. Overfeeding exist and shortens the lifespan of fishes apparently.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to see pics

Its the best i can do for now, you know how hrad it is to get them front and center....lol

016.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut them off of all that food. They may love you for all the food they're getting but they're better off than having they're life cut short from too much food.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. It is time for a diet and a few mandatory laps lol.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they're needing a personal trainer lol. I wonder if you increased the flow if it would have an effect like a treadmill would on us humans.....

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut them back slowly and gradually. Doing it to fast could be hard on them. I have some obese pets as well so I know it is hard to cut them off but it is for the better of their health.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a unique problem to have! Following!

Chris L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they're needing a personal trainer lol. I wonder if you increased the flow if it would have an effect like a treadmill would on us humans.....

Exactly my thoughts. I know my Tangs love to swim against my MP40's...

Of course look at this vid of wild powder blue tangs. They look well fed and plump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3t2FoFQEs

Last edited:

chris124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut back on the amount you feed. Nice tank by the way.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He are some responce i got all over and i'm more mixed up than ever;

-Healthy is a good thing,
helps fight disease and ich

-
Well fed fish are happy fish. Keeps them from pecking at any Coral's.

-
wow... lol fat fish, they must be really happy!

-
Chubby fish - Sexy fish! Healthy is Happy . Keeps them free from disease!

-
Would you rather be fat and happy and live a little shorter or be hungry and live longer?

-
As long as you can break down all that ammonia keep feeding them

-
Look about what healthy ones in the wild look like

-
With fresh water fish it's all about portion control. With salt, let them eat eat eat! This is how they look in the wild.

-
Nope, they're nice and healthy, good job

-Just means they are happy fish!

-
I have an Achilles that is about 4" wide...fat fish=healthy fish

-
They are living the good life. We choose to take them and make them pets . Its not there choice so I think ur fish look great! To most of us in this hobby we consider them family and the way I see it ur taking care of them and atleast ur not neglecting them!

-
Keep them fish fat!

-
There happy your happy, keep it that way

-
Sooooo,,,, why can't a fish be obese don't tell me they'll have a heart attack

-
obesity happens in fish just like people and even though they may not get a "heart attack" other problems can definitely occur

-
I would imagine it can shorten their life Aron, just like it can for humans.

I used to be concerned with my fishes weight and then I went diving in the Bahamas. They were SO fat and happy!

-
They look great fat fish equal happy fish

-
well, too fat of a fish can lead to liver/kidney failure...and the under side of the belly is NOT how you tell if a fish is healthy..all of a fishes' fat reserves on up on the dorsal part of the fish (above the head). so when I look at fish at a fish store this is what im looking for (along with, does it have a pinched belly, clear eyes, clear fins, does it "recognize" me (esp true if an angelfish).

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, there's a difference between "well fed" and "overfed"...but the line is open to interpretation. I'd personally say they do have too much fat on them, and I like my fish thick.
What size tank are they in? Look at increasing the flow some (slowly) so they have to work a little harder, and I'd say don't skip days but do cut down on frequency and possibly amount per day. You'll want to do all this very gradually and watch the results over a period of months.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a unique problem to have! Following!

Thanks , but from many sources i think i'm doing ok with my regime, specially after reading a few statements like this; " I used to be concerned with my fishes weight and then I went diving in the Bahamas. They were SO fat and happy!" others statements like this have come to me from facebook and other forums.

I feed twice a day; mutiple things. 1 New Era Grazer Rings at the bottom, A full algae clip,Julian Sprung Sea Veggies (sometimes it last 2 days) and once per day Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp Frozen and the second feeding, Cobalt Mysis Flakes with probiotic or Cobalt Aquatics Spirulina Flakes . I also put a veg clip that last a week its from healthfood store you know people who eat trees. They have the best dry algae such as this one and one leaf last and everyone from the snails to the fish gets at it and it takes a week to disapear. very cheap and no additives.

150 gallons reef mostly softies.

Photo356-2.jpg

The 75 display refugium helps alot with the nitrates and phosphate removal

Photo803.jpg

The refugium feeds the reef tank, couldn't hide the bulky plumbing so its part of the Borg theme of the room

Photo701.jpg

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly pretty refugium, IMO.

Well...I would have agreed with you...but I've been doing some online research and it appears that one of the causes of early death in aquarium fish is fatty degeneration of the organs. Just keep that in mind, okay? Thick is good - but at least consider working them a little to turn that fat into good muscle ;) Maybe just turn the pumps up for a couple hours a day.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks , but from many sources i think i'm doing ok with my regime, specially after reading a few statements like this; " I used to be concerned with my fishes weight and then I went diving in the Bahamas. They were SO fat and happy!" others statements like this have come to me from facebook and other forums.

I feed twice a day; mutiple things. 1 New Era Grazer Rings at the bottom, A full algae clip,Julian Sprung Sea Veggies (sometimes it last 2 days) and once per day Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp Frozen and the second feeding, Cobalt Mysis Flakes with probiotic or Cobalt Aquatics Spirulina Flakes . I also put a veg clip that last a week its from healthfood store you know people who eat trees. They have the best dry algae such as this one and one leaf last and everyone from the snails to the fish gets at it and it takes a week to disapear. very cheap and no additives.

150 gallons reef mostly softies.

Photo356-2.jpg

The 75 display refugium helps alot with the nitrates and phosphate removal

Photo803.jpg

The refugium feeds the reef tank, couldn't hide the bulky plumbing so its part of the Borg theme of the room

Photo701.jpg

Sounds good to me, bud. I've never heard of "fat fish" being a problem, so I'd say you're right. Keep them fat and happy! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back