Are my sexy shrimp molting or dying?

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey me again, the new girl who is posting nearly daily needing help… yeah well today I came turned my lights on to find my sexy shrimp are greenish blue? I searched the site and other forums and seems no one has any pic for reference and people are just guessing if anyone has any thought drop them off for me lol!

47944714-3593-4C76-86BA-16D03004085B.jpeg 4BE4349C-26AE-4B04-A967-AD336FA642DD.jpeg

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are stationary and not moving it is a sign of molting. Sometimes they will stand in place and you’ll only see small little movements, however molting can take time but in the shrimp I’ve owned (peppermint/pistol) it shouldn’t take more than a couple hours. The first pistol I owned died during molting and I blame myself for poor acclimation. Shrimp can have struggling molting if they were acclimated poorly or the water you’re using is harder than the water they were bought in. The molt should look like the shell exploded. Sometimes molts can also look like the shrimp itself. I thought my current pistol died but realized it was a molt and he came out days later.

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are stationary and not moving it is a sign of molting. Sometimes they will stand in place and you’ll only see small little movements, however molting can take time but in the shrimp I’ve owned (peppermint/pistol) it shouldn’t take more than a couple hours. The first pistol I owned died during molting and I blame myself for poor acclimation. Shrimp can have struggling molting if they were acclimated poorly or the water you’re using is harder than the water they were bought in. The molt should look like the shell exploded. Sometimes molts can also look like the shrimp itself. I thought my current pistol died but realized it was a molt and he came out days later.
Oh man… This gave me less hope for one of there survival he is bouncing all over the place acting strange… He also spent all day yesterday eating my gold algae… I am hoping maybe it was just the fact he ate a lot of algae… I am going to check on him now. Thank you.

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man… This gave me less hope for one of there survival he is bouncing all over the place acting strange… He also spent all day yesterday eating my gold algae… I am hoping maybe it was just the fact he ate a lot of algae… I am going to check on him now. Thank you.
The bouncing and going crazy unfortunately is a part of a stuck molt, my first pistol went crazy flying all over the tank and was swimming upside down and died that night :( really hope everything goes ok! Post an update if you can.

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bouncing and going crazy unfortunately is a part of a stuck molt, my first pistol went crazy flying all over the tank and was swimming upside down and died that night :( really hope everything goes ok! Post an update if you can.
Awww man…. I am looking at them now I have three, they are currently all hanging out in Kenya trees not moving the one that was bouncing around has also calmed and is on a tree. I made sure they were acclimated to my water by drip method before adding them into the tank and they’ve been in around a week. My pom pom
Crab already molted a few days ago I believe that means he’s acclimated so I am hoping they molt and don’t have any issues. My temp is regulated and I believe they are comfortable is there anything I can do besides keep a good temp for them to help them in the process?

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awww man…. I am looking at them now I have three, they are currently all hanging out in Kenya trees not moving the one that was bouncing around has also calmed and is on a tree. I made sure they were acclimated to my water by drip method before adding them into the tank and they’ve been in around a week. My pom pom
Crab already molted a few days ago I believe that means he’s acclimated so I am hoping they molt and don’t have any issues. My temp is regulated and I believe they are comfortable is there anything I can do besides keep a good temp for them to help them in the process?
Oh forgot to ask, should I be finding there old shell after they molt? Like I will see it and know the process is over?

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to ask, should I be finding there old shell after they molt? Like I will see it and know the process is over?
Sorry for late reply, yes. You will see their molt floating around. Sometimes shrimp
Will hide well they regain strength in their next exoskeleton. Molts can also look like the real shrimp. Hope everything went ok.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of shrimp molt when introduced. I've been told the flipping around the tank is them trying to losses the old shell. Time will tell.

OP
OP
megan.911

megan.911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update one molted, the rest are blue green when I turn the light on in the morning and get their color back within an hour super weird!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 68 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back