Are OSFF more rare than the Los?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are OSFFs more rare than FF Lo’s? And do the One Spots really get smaller at only 8” while the Lo gets to 10”? How active are they compared to Tangs, Angels and Butterflies?

There’s scientific debate over whether Unimaculatus is truly a separate species.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about rarity. I think the price difference is because there is more demand for the 'allegedly' smaller one spot, but I could be wrong. And there didn't used to be much of a price difference...not *that* long ago, both were in the 30-40 dollar range for juvies.

As you said, there is debate over whether or not they are the same species, so any size difference wouldn't be much. It's a little silly to me when sites recommend such a smaller tank for S. unimaculatus.

They can be active, but not as active as most tangs, in my experience. Less than Acanthurus for sure. More like angels. But they are a more shy and with more idiosyncrasy. Usually they would rather run away and go camo than fight with tangs, but they can posture and point their dorsal spines toward fish being jerks.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok I see. I am worried about Bristletooths being difficult feeders so I was thinking about a Foxface over a Bristletooth. However just worried about the Lo getting bigger than the One Spot that’s all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back