Are pvc adapters from spa supply stores ok?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Areseebee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Areseebee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2016
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
642
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1/2 inch line on my return pump and I want to replace the plumbing below the true union. I bought this adapter to connect to flexible line that will attach to my pump: Spears 474 Series PVC Pipe Fitting, Adapter, Schedule 40, White, 1/2"Barbed x 1/2" Socket (Amazon product ASIN B008I4CU4O). However, it kind of looks to me like the 1/2 barb connection looks like it will restrict flow so I wanted to find a 3/4 barb instead. These seem to be sold exclusively for Spas. Can i use one of these: PVC Adapter 1/2 Slip x 3/4 Spigot x 3/4 Barb (https://www.hottuboutpost.com/pvc-adapter-1-2-slip-x-3-4-spigot-x-3-4-barb-1432-007/)? Or am I overreacting? Will the 1/2 barb be fine?
 
If you ever wanted to increase flow rate, a 3/4” diameter is double the cross sectional area of 1/2” diameter which means at the same pressure, you will double flow rate.

PVC is PVC no matter who sells it. That should address your thread title.
 
Mostly I just worried that these joints weren't built to handle the same pressure or something .. maybe a low schedule? I don't know.

Yeah I can't increase the whole pipe to be 3/4 but the 1/2 barbed seems to pinch down way smaller than the 1/2 pipe so I thought I'd try to work with a bigger diameter for that part if I could.
 
Mostly I just worried that these joints weren't built to handle the same pressure or something .. maybe a low schedule? I don't know.

Yeah I can't increase the whole pipe to be 3/4 but the 1/2 barbed seems to pinch down way smaller than the 1/2 pipe so I thought I'd try to work with a bigger diameter for that part if I could.
SDR or other thin-wall PVC is fine at the pressures in our systems.
 
Mostly I just worried that these joints weren't built to handle the same pressure or something .. maybe a low schedule? I don't know.

Yeah I can't increase the whole pipe to be 3/4 but the 1/2 barbed seems to pinch down way smaller than the 1/2 pipe so I thought I'd try to work with a bigger diameter for that part if I could.
SDR or other thin-wall PVC is fine at the pressures in our systems.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new