Are red firefish community fish?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are red firefish community fish? I went to a lfs and the owner or manager was like u need to get at least 4-5 of them otherwise it will hide in the rocks and not come out-they are strictly community fish and they are jumpers, is this true? Ive read firefish are not community fish

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a single firefish a few years ago and it was just fine by itself. It was always in the water column and didn't hide in the rocks much unless it was at night. Jumpers part is definitely true though

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience. I did have one for a few years, but did start off with two. After the one passed away shortly when first introduced the other seemed fine and swam out. It did keep close to it's home, so that it can seek refuge when spooked. That does not mean that it was so reclusive that I did not see it often. See what other's personal experience is to get a broad consensus. Hope that helps.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience firefish need to be kept singly. As peaceful as they are they do not play well with other members of their own kind when mature. The biggest trick to keeping firefish is making sure they are kept with other peaceful tankmates, otherwise they are easily intimidated and will likely hide in the rock work and slowly starve.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a single firefish a few years ago and it was just fine by itself. It was always in the water column and didn't hide in the rocks much unless it was at night. Jumpers part is definitely true though
They go to their hiding spots to sleep. My firefish has an entire labyrinth under that rock.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about this myself. I added a yellow watchman goby yesterday. Ever since I added the new fish my firefish is being aggressive and nipping at the goby AND my clowns. He never went after my clowns before. I thought firefish were supposed to be peaceful. I’m starting to get worried for my other fish as my firefish is bigger than my clowns and a lot bigger than my goby. Should I consider removing him?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back