Are Reefers inherently CREATIVE?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The creativity of the rocks is the last thing I really care about. I just like taking care of the tank. It’s hard and rewarding. With corals growing it looks good anyway. It never even would occur to me to think this is a creative type of hobby.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sing, play guitar and violin, write, draw, paint, embroider, crochet, and have about 30 thriving houseplants. I also create spreadsheets and write macros for fun, and am passionate about genealogy. I think my brain is as analytical as it is creative.
I eat, sleep but mainly just wait facing the corner of a wall for direct instructions from my wife....

My only escape is my tank. Sad but true

Enjoy your independence

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The creativity of the rocks is the last thing I really care about. I just like taking care of the tank. It’s hard and rewarding. With corals growing it looks good anyway. It never even would occur to me to think this is a creative type of hobby.
Looks like you put some thought into your rocks to me. You’re creative and do t even know it!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also an artistic/creative type. Drawing, painting, carving, 3D modeling, etc. Arranging rocks and corals is a lot like arranging trees in a bonsai pot. I think visualizing and then creating a balanced image is a big part of the appeal. Here’s a couple models I’ve been working on sometimes in Blender. I’m not great, but I’m slowly learning on my own, with the help of the internet.
79AE2A49-65A3-4D95-810E-1DE564BB0E3F.png
868CB4B5-6C40-4B0A-938E-921B3E9F652D.png
35E0C585-7EF2-457B-853B-040E0E7C4F5A.png
BFB2DBB5-2C50-4A47-BEF6-3CBEE8FBEB93.png
47298C67-4302-4843-93F4-A494AC18D871.png
Very nice work. I work with a friend who does visual fx work for me. You’re every bit as talented. Congrats!!!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you put some thought into your rocks to me. You’re creative and do t even know it!
Thanks. I did put plenty of thought into it. Just wanted to make sure there were tons of holes and hides for the fish. I think if it looked good must have been an accident lol.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fly,designed and built FPV drones, built several watercooled computers, I know how to throw boomerangs, juggle diabolos, play bass guitar, weld, roast and blend my own coffee beans and I'm a decent marksman.

Life is too short to not learn or try new skills and hobbies whenever you can.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fly,designed and built FPV drones, built several watercooled computers, I know how to throw boomerangs, juggle diabolos, play bass guitar, weld, roast and blend my own coffee beans and I'm a decent marksman.

Life is too short to not learn or try new skills and hobbies whenever you can.
Very cool!!! Is there anything left? Lol

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eat, sleep but mainly just wait facing the corner of a wall for direct instructions from my wife....

My only escape is my tank. Sad but true

Enjoy your independence
Marriage is a total racket. Haha.

But I have a 4-year-old with me 100% of the time which prevents me from really doing whatever the frick I want.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am real creative about making this hobby work in a 1 income family!! Da Vinci eat your heart out
The difference between you and Leonardo is you’re around to enjoy both family and hobby! Inspiring post thx.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I think about quite a bit. Im not an artistic person really at all. I do play quitar a little but nothing to brag about.
I do design/build for a living. I have def noticed that my approach to this hobby has inherently follow that same path. I can see it in my tanks. My tinkering and the way I go about my reef 100%.
Whats interesting is since I've gotten back into reefing after a long career layoff is I notice I'm pulling things from reefing and applying it other aspects of everyday life.
I do think our reefs are direct reflection and extension of ourselves and vice versa.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we do our best to emulate nature, who is the true creative star here. I have seen some brilliant rockscapes though, and that's certainly one of the fun parts of the hobby. A good liverock scape can make a tank twice as appealing.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I think about quite a bit. Im not an artistic person really at all. I do play quitar a little but nothing to brag about.
I do design/build for a living. I have def noticed that my approach to this hobby has inherently follow that same path. I can see it in my tanks. My tinkering and the way I go about my reef 100%.
Whats interesting is since I've gotten back into reefing after a long career layoff is I notice I'm pulling things from reefing and applying it other aspects of everyday life.
I do think our reefs are direct reflection and extension of ourselves and vice versa.
Nicely put.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we do our best to emulate nature, who is the true creative star here. I have seen some brilliant rockscapes though, and that's certainly one of the fun parts of the hobby. A good liverock scape can make a tank twice as appealing.
You got that right. Back in the 90s, it was the “Rubble Pile” look. Load it up against the back wall. What were we thinking?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely put.
Good post. In a nut shell, I’m a “peace of mind” kind of person. God created me for better things than the things this sometimes crazy world tends to offer. I don’t have frustration with my reef tank. I may weekly have “one” issue that needs to be looked at, but after I fix or attend to it. It’s back to a very peaceful state of mind. Like, All is right with the world. A place our creator intended for us.

Back