Are Reefers inherently CREATIVE?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the beauty, color and movement of our plant’s reefs and our attraction to them. It truly makes me wonder if there is a common creative thread within us. And does it expresses itself in not only reef keeping but by other things as well.
Outside of “reef keeping” are you a creative person? If so, how so?

1. I’m a Christian Filmmaker, 21 years now. Directing films is a very creative process. 5 films so far, writing the 6th. Nice distribution deal with Sony Pictures re: movie #5. Exciting!
2. Love gardening! Just “created” two flower gardens in the backyard. Zinnias and Marigolds. Amazing flowers. My wife digs them too. (Not literally) lol. :D
Is there more to you than reefing?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fit someplace in here so says my wife :)

1633298187212.png

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am.
I paint and draw, not much now but when I was younger. I used to build models when I was younger, now onto train layouts. I can make some pretty creative Halloween costumes if I put my mind to it.

I also garden and landscape a bit. I help my wife with the flowers, but I have the eye for it.

I also tie flies for fly fishing.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am.
I paint and draw, not much now but when I was younger. I used to build models when I was younger, now onto train layouts. I can make some pretty creative Halloween costumes if I put my mind to it.

I also garden and landscape a bit. I help my wife with the flowers, but I have the eye for it.

I also tie flies for fly fishing.
I’m telling you, there’s a connection.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sing, play guitar and violin, write, draw, paint, embroider, crochet, and have about 30 thriving houseplants. I also create spreadsheets and write macros for fun, and am passionate about genealogy. I think my brain is as analytical as it is creative.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the opposite of creative. I’m an introvert ocd shut-in numbers person who can’t do anything artistic if my life depended on it.
So for me.. I am surrounded by creatives.. my wife.. my kids, and my partners in my business. BUT im like a moth to a LED :).. I understand color palettes but I dont see it like they do. We all have our strong points and augmenting them is a balance.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for me.. I am surrounded by creatives.. my wife.. my kids, and my partners in my business. BUT im like a moth to a LED :).. I understand color palettes but I dont see it like they do. We all have our strong points and augmenting them is a balance.
So it stops at reefing yes? :)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw, sculpt, paint, write, play music (several instruments), I sew and am into fashion, garden, crochet/knit, tattoo, I’ve been in touring bands, lived in an artists’ commune/collective, I have all kinds of creative outlets.

But I do not think that reefers are inherently creative.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gardening and making reptile enclosures are the only real creative things I do I can also draw a mean stick figure :p.
Your photos declare creativity! And Mr. Bill would be prouuuuuuuuud!!!! :D

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw, sculpt, paint, write, play music (several instruments), I sew and am into fashion, garden, crochet/knit, tattoo, I’ve been in touring bands, lived in an artists’ commune/collective, I have all kinds of creative outlets.

But I do not think that reefers are inherently creative.
Definitely the consensus is looking mixed. Maybe the non-creatives will become creative? :oops:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it stops at reefing yes? :)
No sad to say... she is a teacher.. so we scratch each others back... I guess my point is.. I dont consider myself to be a creative.. but I do try and surround myself with others when I look at my deficiencies.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sad to say... she is a teacher.. so we scratch each others back... I guess my point is.. I dont consider myself to be a creative.. but I do try and surround myself with others when I look at my deficiencies.
Understood! :)

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also an artistic/creative type. Drawing, painting, carving, 3D modeling, etc. Arranging rocks and corals is a lot like arranging trees in a bonsai pot. I think visualizing and then creating a balanced image is a big part of the appeal. Here’s a couple models I’ve been working on sometimes in Blender. I’m not great, but I’m slowly learning on my own, with the help of the internet.
79AE2A49-65A3-4D95-810E-1DE564BB0E3F.png
868CB4B5-6C40-4B0A-938E-921B3E9F652D.png
35E0C585-7EF2-457B-853B-040E0E7C4F5A.png
BFB2DBB5-2C50-4A47-BEF6-3CBEE8FBEB93.png
47298C67-4302-4843-93F4-A494AC18D871.png

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back