Are Round Stingrays the best beginner elasmobranch to keep?

heathsharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already own a breeding pair of Round Stingrays (Urobatis halleri) which I had the female for almost for an year, and the male since early November both are doing fine but I am curious if other people agree if these rays are the best elasmobranch to begin with.

In my opinion, they are really good for beginners that have an interest in owning a shark/ray as I think they are easier than other rays and sharks and they are very hardy compared to most species like blue spotted ribbontail stingrays or coral catsharks. They also are an elasmobranch that gets pretty sizeable compared to others species and some people like myself want to have a fish that shows affection and a fish that shows a great personality.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really respect your obvious skillset, but there really are no "beginner" elasmobranchii.
Although I never kept Rays, keeping sharks are a whole different universe compared to bony fish. There is just so much more knowledge/preparation needed to keep these successfully.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an elasmobranch owner, so take my input with a grain of salt.
Most sources seem to regard the round stingray (Urobatis halleri) as a relatively hardy species amongst elasmobranchs, but what throws me off is the fact that they are largely a subtropical species. These rays are common here on the coast of California, where water temperatures can drop to the low 50's in Fahrenheit, and Aquarium Sharks & Rays lists their upper temperature bound as 72°F. However, their range extends down to Panama (not sure how warm the coastal temperatures are, though) and there seem to be many reports of them thriving at reef temperatures.
@Jay Hemdal
@Krj-2501
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sharksandrays/california-stingray-bio-profile-t201.html
Assuming reef temperatures are not ideal for Urobatis halleri, I would be inclined to believe its cousin the yellow stingray (Urobatis jamaicensis) would be a better alternative (though it is somewhat rarer in the trade and grows larger, about 6 inches longer from what I am reading online). Other Urobatis species seem to be incredibly rare in the trade.
Urobatis halleri observed near San Francisco Bay:
1663195043984.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the upper temperature limit of this species as I always keep them between 65 and 72 F. The cortez ray, Urobatis maculatus, can handle warmer water for sure.

Jay

OP
OP
heathsharky

heathsharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really respect your obvious skillset, but there really are no "beginner" elasmobranchii.
I highly agree on that, no elasmobranchii fish should be for any person that didn't do the research before owning one and are not easy compared to many other bony fishes like clownfishes or damsels

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back