Are single clowns always female?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a single clown, does it stay male until the introduction of another clown, or does it transition automatically to female?
I have a clown that was the male. The female jumped and took a dive on the carpet.
Is this clown still a male?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it stays a male until a smaller clown is introduced

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
once female always female ;)

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it stays male. My female died after around 7 years. The male grew a little but is still clearly a male going on 12 years now.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that lone clowns will transition to female, but it does take some time. If it’s only been a few days or even a few weeks it’s likely still male. If it’s been a few months then I believe it will now be female.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sole male will always turn female if left alone ,time factor not sure,but fact ,discussed w breeder :)

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of color mis-matched ocellaris in a 4' tank for years. Largely ignored each other and stayed in their own side of the tank with their own nems. No issues at all except for the occasional trespass into each others territory. What I can't figure out is if they're males or females since both were added separately as smaller fish.

I just rescued 2 additional ocellaris along with a tank upgrade to 6'. Again all mismatched colors but all same ocellaris and all 4 are actually about the same size. So far they've all getting along and actually hanging out together.

Now that I'm reading into the male and female... how do you know.. Do I have 4 dudes all just hanging out a the local nem or what? lol

OP
OP
F

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of color mis-matched ocellaris in a 4' tank for years. Largely ignored each other and stayed in their own side of the tank with their own nems. No issues at all except for the occasional trespass into each others territory. What I can't figure out is if they're males or females since both were added separately as smaller fish.

I just rescued 2 additional ocellaris along with a tank upgrade to 6'. Again all mismatched colors but all same ocellaris and all 4 are actually about the same size. So far they've all getting along and actually hanging out together.

Now that I'm reading into the male and female... how do you know.. Do I have 4 dudes all just hanging out a the local nem or what? lol
Good question... I wish I knew

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a had a single clownfish that has been alone for quite a while then I would suggest adding a small/juvenile clownfish if you want to add a mate. Good luck!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a had a single clownfish that has been alone for quite a while then I would suggest adding a small/juvenile clownfish if you want to add a mate. Good luck!
That's what I read as well, but what if a tank already has multiples yet they never hang out. Then do they change sex and you'll eventually have all males since it never saw the smaller mate to change to female? Man so complicated. lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back