Are snowflake eels considered "Reef Safe?" And other questions.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the rating on your overflow box? You want to match the amount of water that the overflow can handle with the amount of water that the pump can return to your aquarium. This will keep a even flow thru your tank.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the rating is. I looked online and all I found is that it is made for aquariums up to 400 gallons. I have an eshopps pf-1000 over flow box.

@reefwiser

@Duke4Life

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

@reefwiser

Would the Aquafx Barracuda 50 gallons per day, be a good Rodi unit to purchase? What are your opinions on it?
@Duke4Life
No nothing about that brand but 50g a day should be more than enough. Sorry for the later response but I'm in the final stages of moving.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture I took this morning. Rock placement isn't final as I was just trying to get it back in and my pvc eel hasn't been added neither.

1004160859.jpg

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking good @Duke4Life

You do bare bottom?
Thank you! For now yes on bare bottom, haven't made up my mind on what I'm using next since I had to ditch my sand due 2 the move. I'll organize the look of my rocks first before adding any new as it helps secure them in place. If I was you I would do the same since you're going the Eel route ;)

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips! Phillip, do you think you will have crushed coral, or sand? Also how many inches of sand did you have?

@Duke4Life

sailr44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on Oahu for four years with a 50 gallon tank and I had a snowflake eel really small, but he grew quickly and soon was the only thing in my aquarium. They are beautiful but ravenous. I would never put one in a community tank again.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on Oahu for four years with a 50 gallon tank and I had a snowflake eel really small, but he grew quickly and soon was the only thing in my aquarium. They are beautiful but ravenous. I would never put one in a community tank again.
I think you're tempting fate with a snowflake in a 50g like you found out. While eels don't use the same space fish do they do still like to cruise. His 100+ will provide that but still he may never be able to keep darts long term of he wanted to. I also believe the switch in genders plays a small role as well in them going after fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back