Are tank these seals bad?

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I already have a tank swap arranged for thursday with my LFS, but I guess I am curious if anyone as has seen this with no issues.

I recently picked up an aqueon 75G with black silicone from my LFS, got it home today and immediately filled it with water to leak check and of course I got distracted with the toddlers and overflowed the tank in the garage so water did touch the outside of the tank. My goal was to keep the outside of the tank and area around the take completely dry to be able to detect the leaks easier, however that didn't go according to plan. So once it overflowed I towel dried everything off and have been letting it sit for hours now to let the standing water evap etc.. I mention this because of the condensation in 2 of the 4 seams. It's behind the inside silicone as you'll see in the pictures. So I am wondering if it came from the water overflowing the tank and seeping into the seams from the outside, as it's not leaking or getting any worse. I'm wondering if it's just a tiny hairline gap in the initial silicone where the panel butts up to the other panel, as well as if it's a long term issue if it happens on the next tank since Aqueon are the budget tanks.

Anyway, it makes me nervous to have ANY imperfections in the silicone, so I called the LFS and the owner had the rep on the phone while I was on hold and has another tanking coming Thursday for me either way, but of course I'm just wondering if it happens on the replacement (i'll keep the dang thing dry this go around), is it really a worry?

IMG_2307.jpg

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 gallon aqueon has the same issue, much worse than yours. From all the research I did aqueon states it's normal for a 29 gallon.

I don't know about a 75 gallon, that silicone is being stressed and where you see bubbles means : it's no longer bonded with the glass.

I would be careful.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 gallon aqueon has the same issue, much worse than yours. From all the research I did aqueon states it's normal for a 29 gallon.

I don't know about a 75 gallon, that silicone is being stressed and where you see bubbles means : it's no longer bonded with the glass.

I would be careful.
Yeah even if it was exterior sourced moisture from the tank overflowing, the fact that it's there tells me the joint isn't bonded there. I'm nervous to see how the tank turns out on Thursday if it has similar issues or not. It's quite a difference between 200 bucks plus drilling etc for this tank and 1500-2000 for an IM, Redsea, Waterbox etc because they've made the incredibly consumer friendly choice to only sell complete turn key system snow. Aperture owns BRS, Ecotech, AI, and Apex which will do wonders for competition I'm sure and now the mentioned tank manufactuers only sell complete systems, pretty frustrating that this is where we're at. I may look into what shipping costs for a rimmed glasscages 75, but I'm afraid it'll be prohibitive to california. Anyway thanks for coming to my TED talk lol

divcesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue, but on a Red Sea 170gl. What happened to your tank?

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the tank back to the store. LFS spoke with his Aqueon rep who said no way would he risk it with water long term and to bring it back to the store for a replacement.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the tank back to the store. LFS spoke with his Aqueon rep who said no way would he risk it with water long term and to bring it back to the store for a replacement.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back