Are Terpenes Really This Bad?

mark.nicodemus59

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
26
Location
Lodi
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, guys! I need some reassurance that doesn't involve AI know-it-alls.

Five days ago, my 3" Devil's Finger slowly collapsed. Laid on its side, turned more green than usual, and withdrew all its polyps. It's been that way ever since. Everything else looked great, until last night.

I have a softie tank: GSP, Discosomas, Ricordeas, Sinularia, Litophyton, Zoanthus, Palythoas... and Devil's Finger.

After five days of molting behavior from my DF, the entire population of my DT seemed to react to something life-threatening. It started with the GSP withdrawing its polyps, and over night had continued to reduce in mat size. The Ricordia florida was next, shriveling and dulling in color. Then the Zoas, the toadstool, the Lito, the Palys, and finally the mushroom. All changed in their turn over the span of about an hour.

It's been more than 12 hours now. The mushrooms are slowly recovering, Palys seem on the rise, but the Zoas are stagnant in the closed state. The Ricordea and GSP look more dead than alive.

It's heartbreaking! They all look so sick! Is this what you've all experienced in the leather pouting event?
 
Sorry to see you're having some issues! I also think you should run some carbon if not already, and I would suggest a large water change.
 
I started running carbon the day after the Devil's Finger began sulking. I had no experience in this event, but I was warned that it would come periodically.
 
Its been my leather toxin experience that the toxins work very slowly, it slowly affects the neighboring corals over weeks its not something immediate. Also it being a 3" frag its hard for me to see affecting everything in your tank, especially if your running carbon. Obviously I'm not familiar with your tank but just based on the info you shared I'm skeptical that leather toxins are to blame.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new