Are the zoas dead?

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plug of zoas but they’ve steadily gotten smaller over the last few months, down to the size of a small dot. I’ve had a lot of stuff going on so I haven’t been able to pay attention to parameters like i should. Everything is in optimal ranges now. I figured they died but i took a closer look at the plug when doing a WC yesterday and there still seems to be something left. It even feels slightly slimy. They’ve been this way for QUITE sometime now. Are they still alive?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8B7AEE55-824E-48C7-91A6-1C60BE9D5AAF.jpeg

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plug of zoas but they’ve steadily gotten smaller over the last few months, down to the size of a small dot. I’ve had a lot of stuff going on so I haven’t been able to pay attention to parameters like i should. Everything is in optimal ranges now. I figured they died but i took a closer look at the plug when doing a WC yesterday and there still seems to be something left. It even feels slightly slimy. They’ve been this way for QUITE sometime now. Are they still alive?

What is optimal range?

Usually zoa are very resilient, so if you are lucky, they might still be alive.

Have you even seen them open up at all lately?

They looked to be covered with green algae.

If you want an answer, they seems to be dead.

PeakeAquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take them out do a 3 minute hydrogen peroxide dip give them alittle shake it should get all the algea and slim off. Then if you have a iodine coral dip do that for the recommended time/dose. Take them and put them in a slightly higher flow area of the tank. I have had zoas come back from alot and it looks like you don't have much to lose so it's worth a try. It has worked out well for me

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be dead soon if they don't stop melting

OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. To reiterate, they’ve been in this state for quite some time. At least a month, maybe two. I’m not hopeful that they’re still alive but if they are I’d like to try and bring them back. However I’ve taken them out and did a hydrogen peroxide dip then gently brushed them with a toothbrush. Upon inspection, it looks like there are still some small polyps. Is it possible they’re still alive? Or have they melted and died completely?

08225B80-D471-4917-A69D-F7C33B348A6E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas have grown out from a small nub if the conditions are right. So it is possible for it to come back.

Question is - has anything changed water chemistry wise which is better now than before?

sam
Yes. I slacked for sometime keeping my levels in check but they are back in line with what they were when they were thriving.

OP
OP
M

Mwhitedesigns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update if anyone was interested. Did a peroxide dip and put them back to see what happened. A couple perished but they’re alive!

84696053-1A7E-4C11-B99A-0200C8088B80.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back