Are there eggs in my tank?

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have trochus snails in my tank and I a a few questions and information to provide.

1. I noticed my snail was seeding the aquarium. Why?

2. I haven’t noticed any eggs, so why is he seeding the aquarium?

3. What is causing him to seed? Did I do something wrong or right? All I’ve done is dose the tank with amino acids once to twice a week and recently did a water change.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by seeding you mean that it was releasing eggs/sperm (spawning) into the water column, then the why is because it’s trying to reproduce.

You wouldn’t notice any eggs in the aquarium this way because the eggs/sperm would be eaten or removed from the tank by the other inhabitants, plumbing, filtration, etc., and because eggs that are spawned into the water column don’t typically land somewhere; they typically develop and hatch while still in the water column.

Spawning is a good thing - it generally indicates that the animal is in good enough health to try and reproduce. Lots of different things can trigger/cause spawning in snails:
Some things that can impact/trigger spawning include light schedule, light spectrum and intensity, temperature changes (both rapid - i.e. temperature shock - and slow), moon phases, tides, water conditions (i.e. calm water, stormy water, etc.), salinity, chemical cues, seasons, dessication, flooding, etc.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some snails release into the water column. Some snails deposit eggs on the glass or rocks in little bumps that look like sesame seeds or in curly, stringy lines. Some of them can make new snails - most do not.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone thank you so much. You guys have been an amazing help as usual. Have a great day guys! Although I do have one more question.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by seeding you mean that it was releasing eggs/sperm (spawning) into the water column, then the why is because it’s trying to reproduce.

You wouldn’t notice any eggs in the aquarium this way because the eggs/sperm would be eaten or removed from the tank by the other inhabitants, plumbing, filtration, etc., and because eggs that are spawned into the water column don’t typically land somewhere; they typically develop and hatch while still in the water column.

Spawning is a good thing - it generally indicates that the animal is in good enough health to try and reproduce. Lots of different things can trigger/cause spawning in snails:

By any chance, do you think some eggs might live. If on rock work I have quite a few hiding space and small caves and holes big enough for trochus snails to go through and fit in. I only have 4fish hermit crabs and emerald crabs.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance, do you think some eggs might live. If on rock work I have quite a few hiding space and small caves and holes big enough for trochus snails to go through and fit in. I only have 4fish hermit crabs and emerald crabs.
It’s very rare/incredibly low odds for spawned eggs (pelagic larvae) to survive, but it happens every now and then. I wouldn’t expect to have any live though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back