Are these acro eating black bugs?

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure they are and I've been treating as such, but so far they've been resilient against Dr. G's treatment so I want to double check.

Here is a zoomed out pic:
IMG_2099 (1).jpeg

And here is a picture under a microscope:
IMG_2098.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've Googled for black bug reference pics but I haven't found anything that is a strong match yet. The video in this post is probably the strongest match I've found: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/do-i-have-black-bugs-help.318975/post-5295324

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure they are and I've been treating as such, but so far they've been resilient against Dr. G's treatment so I want to double check.

Here is a zoomed out pic:
IMG_2099 (1).jpeg

And here is a picture under a microscope:
IMG_2098.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've Googled for black bug reference pics but I haven't found anything that is a strong match yet. The video in this post is probably the strongest match I've found: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/do-i-have-black-bugs-help.318975/post-5295324
Google up some reference photos for red bugs or Tegastes Acroporanus. Looks pretty close to me.

If you get a match, start looking into sourcing Interceptor.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing dr g in tank if so at what ml per gallon ?

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shape looks a little similar to the ostracods mentioned in this thread. I’m by no means an expert tho

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing dr g in tank if so at what ml per gallon ?
I took out a rock structure that I knew had some on it and I've been doing 1ml per gallon, but I still saw them so I moved to 2ml to gallon & still they're alive. I'll keep going until they're dead o_O

The shape looks a little similar to the ostracods mentioned in this thread. I’m by no means an expert tho

I would love for this to be true, but I did have some STN at the base of some of my SPS and at night I found them there. It's possible the STN was due to a stressor in my tank and they were eating dead tissue, but that feels like optimistic thinking.

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I to have noticed these lil buggers as well. Def look like black bugs to me. They've gone through about 7 of my pieces. Last night I put them in dr g for 10hr at about(used dropper) .5 ml for 200ml water. The ones I can see are dead for sure. What im concerned about if they are dead where ever they are hiding...seems like less than what I saw last night.

Gonna preform another test tonight ill update

OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I to have noticed these lil buggers as well. Def look like black bugs to me. They've gone through about 7 of my pieces. Last night I put them in dr g for 10hr at about(used dropper) .5 ml for 200ml water. The ones I can see are dead for sure. What im concerned about if they are dead where ever they are hiding...seems like less than what I saw last night.

Gonna preform another test tonight ill update
I did a very similar dip last night. I did 10ml of Dr G's for 1 gallon of water, which if my math is right is the same concentration as you. I also did a Bayer dip too and I saw probably 5-10 dead black bugs at the end of the dip although I did a much shorter dip (15 minutes). My infestation isn't bad as I rarely see bugs actively on the corals at night, but it's there and I'd like to eradicate it before it becomes bad.

One thing I've noticed even with a dip as short as 15 is that the temperature drops quickly which I'm sure stresses out the corals. Are you using a specimen cup that's suspended in the tank water to keep it warm? I'm thinking I need to set up a temp tank for dips with heat & circulation so I can do longer Dr. G's dips without having to worry about how it stresses the corals.

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a very similar dip last night. I did 10ml of Dr G's for 1 gallon of water, which if my math is right is the same concentration as you. I also did a Bayer dip too and I saw probably 5-10 dead black bugs at the end of the dip although I did a much shorter dip (15 minutes). My infestation isn't bad as I rarely see bugs actively on the corals at night, but it's there and I'd like to eradicate it before it becomes bad.

One thing I've noticed even with a dip as short as 15 is that the temperature drops quickly which I'm sure stresses out the corals. Are you using a specimen cup that's suspended in the tank water to keep it warm? I'm thinking I need to set up a temp tank for dips with heat & circulation so I can do longer Dr. G's dips without having to worry about how it stresses the corals.
I used a Tupperware covered in plastic wrap then affixed lid. Floated seamlessly in sump

Attachments

• 20201220_220610.jpg
    20201220_220610.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 51

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Tupperware covered in plastic wrap then affixed lid. Floated seamlessly in sump
Additionally I read a post where 1ml to 1 gal was the the ratio used..idk ..im no good with math but I thought I was at 4x recommend with my split.again no math wiz here also I attached pic of results. Forgot toention I did see 2 bugs alive but were not same as targeted bugs

Attachments

• 20201221_104149.mp4
    23.9 MB
  • 20201215_211612.mp4
    17.4 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralDanimal

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second test..
1gal water to 1ml solution for 10hrs seems to have don't the trick as well
@jayjerk Did you find out what concentration of Dr. G's was able to kill black bugs? I'm going to do some experimenting tonight to understand the ml -> gallon ratio that actually kills the suckers before I attempt an in-tank treatment. Similar to you 1ml -> 10 gallons was not sufficient in my experience.

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jayjerk Did you find out what concentration of Dr. G's was able to kill black bugs? I'm going to do some experimenting tonight to understand the ml -> gallon ratio that actually kills the suckers before I attempt an in-tank treatment. Similar to you 1ml -> 10 gallons was not sufficient in my experience.
I was successful in killing them at 1ml /gal and letting them sit 12hrs. I haven't gone any further after having issue with the vendor and have elected not to consume the product further. I have been on hunt now for interceptor which has proven to be very difficult. Thats currently where I am

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was successful in killing them at 1ml /gal and letting them sit 12hrs. I haven't gone any further after having issue with the vendor and have elected not to consume the product further. I have been on hunt now for interceptor which has proven to be very difficult. Thats currently where I am
tried bringing in the frag into a vet ? and explaining

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also do your sps , colonies fight off black bugs able to outgrow them?

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veta won't playbill for just the coral. Big going in for check up in few weeks might try again then
If no
tried bringing in the frag into a vet ? and explaining
T he might not be getting last 3 months of his normal treatment...the bugs have smoked all of smooth skins except 1 thus far and a few across have been beat to death by them. They seems to have specific taste at first but I would imagine when true hunger kicks it rest of collection will be next.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its red bugs that generally take down SPS although black bugs in numbers can be as bad.
Dipping has little to no effect on these guys and Interceptor pill from a veterinarian is about the only thing that will truly wipe them out

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its red bugs that generally take down SPS although black bugs in numbers can be as bad.
Dipping has little to no effect on these guys and Interceptor pill from a veterinarian is about the only thing that will truly wipe them out
does dr G non effect this black buggers? under my reading it uses the same stuff

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Has anyone been able to find any Interceptor 51-100lbs dissolvable pills? All i can find is the chewy version. Threw mine out years ago.

jayjerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been able to find any Interceptor 51-100lbs dissolvable pills? All i can find is the chewy version. Threw mine out years ago.
Chewy version dissolves well in hot water if you can get some of those please let me know.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back