Are these Aiptasia?

Andre Duarte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef community.

I am moving some of the rock from my 10 year old tank to a new and smaller one that I am currently cycling. I have noticed something on the rocks during the night when using a flash light that looks like aiptasia but apparently when I google for it it is not the exact some thing. I am wondering if someone can identify this for me and let me know if I should try to get rid of it as soon as possible or not.

They are very small in size, with small tentacles with some sort of bubble tips. Sorry for the picture quality.

AQD_2935.jpg AQD_2936.jpg AQD_2938.jpg

On my 10 year old tank I never noticed any plague like aiptasia.

Moreover, I was also able to see some very small bristle worms on the rocks. Something like 2 or 3mm in length. Since they are not armful for other fish or anemones, should I live with them on the tank or should I dose some flatworm exit during my cycling period?

Furthermore, if these two are an inside plague, should I consider remove all the rock and sand form this new tank and start again?

I intend to have some Anemones and clownfish on this tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Those are ball anemones. Still a type of anemone, but not as harmful as aiptasia. I have a couple in my tank, they're cool little hitchhikers :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. So I will keep with them.

What about the small bristle worms? Should I try to get rid of them all?
Some people hate bristleworms, some love them. I personally like them as they are great additions to any clean up crew by consuming leftover food and detritus from the tank. In my opinion I'd leave them :)

OP
OP
A

Andre Duarte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the fast replies. I am glad to know those are not as harmful as aiptasia. Regarding the bristle worms, I don't like them very much but since they are not harmful and they are difficult to eradicate I think I will live with them.

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball Anemone. Actually a member of the mushroom family. Can and will sting other corals and can proliferate quickly. Pumping them full of kalk will kill them if needed. I had one near some acans and it was really ticking them off, so it had to go.

OP
OP
A

Andre Duarte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball Anemone. Actually a member of the mushroom family. Can and will sting other corals and can proliferate quickly. Pumping them full of kalk will kill them if needed. I had one near some acans and it was really ticking them off, so it had to go.
Thank you again. That is exactly what I did to the ones that I could see. Pumped some kalk to control them.
Thank you

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back