Are these Amphipods?

jbrasch

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these amphipods? Are these considered a pest due to population size?

 
Those are isopods. They're beneficial detritivores, and good food for some fish. My tanks are loaded with them as well.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like amphipods to me. 😕
It's a little difficult to tell because of the focus, but amphipods have a pronounced curved profile, whereas these appear to have straight bodies. Also, it's extremely common to see isopods "fight" with each other as they do in this video.
 
Upvote 0
I think I see Amphipods and Isopods, but the video compression kills every detail. You might be able to compare for yourself:

1651315041387.png

Amphipods

1651317629265.png

Isopods (quite small)
​
See section 8 in the "common hitchhiker guide": https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/guide-to-common-hitchhikers-in-reef-tanks.909223/

This is also where I got the images from.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah sorry that video isn’t great. It’s clear before I upload it.

I am actually starting to think isopods. I didn’t know they could be this small though. They look like little pill bugs (rollie pollies). I unfortunately have scuds (amphipods) in my freshwater tank, and these are much smaller than even a baby freshwater scud. Thanks for your input here.

Edit: 100% isopods. This is them to a T -

Edit: does anyone have any good educational materials on marine isos?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new