Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just keep on small water changes. I don't know how much iron leached into the system. What phosphate test are you using?

OP
OP
The_Phoenix

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep on small water changes. I don't know how much iron leached into the system. What phosphate test are you using?
It’s API, which I know has a lot, if not all, negative reviews by reefers because of its large margin of error. It reads 0 for all of the tests I did (3 duplicates). Wouldn’t repeating the same test 3 times and getting the same results shrink the margin of error, or did I not pay attention in statistics class? Lol not my forte at all

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lava rock is very high in phosphate and iron. Maybe other heavy metals as well.
I am asking, because it looks like lava rock. And it could be the source of issue here.

Two of them are lava rocks, one of them is live rock. Why am I just now being told that it’s bad? My lfs recommended it to me for “filler rock”. None of these corals have opened since I have placed them into the tank after being acclimated. You guys think that the lava rock is causing contamination such as iron and phosphate in my water that is stressing/killing the corals?

I've heard the argument that lava rock is not safe to use in salt water for years, but I've never actually heard of anyone trace it back to being a problem in a reef tank. Other than ammonia above 0, the tank parameters look pretty good to me. So I'm not sure what is causing your corals to decline. I seriously doubt the cause is lava rock though. 100% of my rock has been lava rocks for 5 years and I've been able to keep and grow every type of fish and coral I've ever put in the tank.

rsz_img_20180701_223005.jpg

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard the argument that lava rock is not safe to use in salt water for years, but I've never actually heard of anyone trace it back to being a problem in a reef tank. Other than ammonia above 0, the tank parameters look pretty good to me. So I'm not sure what is causing your corals to decline. I seriously doubt the cause is lava rock though. 100% of my rock has been lava rocks for 5 years and I've been able to keep and grow every type of fish and coral I've ever put in the tank.

rsz_img_20180701_223005.jpg

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg
Beautiful aquarium. However, as for the OP. No one truly knows why his corals died. And his polyp is still in decline.

Lava rock was awful for my last reef aquarium. It made things overly difficult for me to manage, I could not control the gha growth at all. Removing the lava rock was the best thing I did. If I could foresee the future and see history wouldn't repeat itself, I would add 10 lbs of it into my sump in a heart beat. And redo my aquascape with it. It's by far more superior than marco rock as far as being porous and light weight, easy to shape.

Again, this is all anecdotal. Just trying to help him find a solution.
Edit: this thread has helpful information as well to curing lava rock https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/use-of-volcanic-rock-in-our-tanks.528065/post-5489060

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s API, which I know has a lot, if not all, negative reviews by reefers because of its large margin of error. It reads 0 for all of the tests I did (3 duplicates). Wouldn’t repeating the same test 3 times and getting the same results shrink the margin of error, or did I not pay attention in statistics class? Lol not my forte at all
The only test api has off is with ammonia in my own experience. If APi ammonia reads .25, your satlwater level is mostly 0. the rest is difficult to read, but they still work. Just wont have a pinpoint answer.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back