Are these Dinoflagellates? Microscope images

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a tough time identifying these. Maybe someone can see something in these shots from the microscope. I know in have Dinos.. these are the snotty material from the rocks. Similar slime strands on sand.

IMG_7258.jpeg

IMG_7259.jpeg

IMG_7262.jpeg

IMG_7264.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg

IMG_7266.jpeg

IMG_7269.jpeg

IMG_7270.jpeg

IMG_7271.jpeg

IMG_7272.jpeg

Some video:

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a sample of that? A pipette or syringe will work great to collect the sample.
I mean that's exactly what I did ( I think) I took a clean pipette and sucked up the goop. I also took another sample and pushed against the rock below the goop. I'll try again this evening. thank you :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just took these shots quickly…

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg
Has the characteristics of dinoflagellates. Its biological deficiencies that cause a dino structure and Its therefore important to identify the type of dino for most effective battle. In many cases because Dino cells consume both nitrate and phosphate, you want to check and see if those values are low or bottomed out.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the characteristics of dinoflagellates. Its biological deficiencies that cause a dino structure and Its therefore important to identify the type of dino for most effective battle. In many cases because Dino cells consume both nitrate and phosphate, you want to check and see if those values are low or bottomed out.
I'll run a N03 and PO4 test after work and post here tonight.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Chrysophytes have that growth form sometimes. In my LFS, that's what the chrysophytes looked like.
Really? What is the treatment for Chrysophytes?

I’ll try to take some more samples under the microscope tomorrow morning.

Thank you

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had chrysophytes and the only way I was able to beat it was using Brightwell Razor. By the final dose it was pretty much gone - I had to do 1 maintenance dose and all my rocks were completely clean. Made battling the Dinos I also had much easier to accomplish. Most folks use Razor for algaes and from the 4 other people I talked to that used it (for their coral farms) they’ve seen no bad effects from using it with their inhabitants.

Chrysophytes are probably the worst thing to have because there’s no tried and true method to get rid of them. There’s many threads here where it’s a year long battle and no pin point solution.

There’s some controversy with the ingredients, Brightwell states it’s not an algaecide and simply a flocculant with proprietary polymers, but there are some suspicions on here about them. I’ve seen some algaecides (vibrant) used in member tanks and that stuff is harsh. This stuff didn’t irritate anything in the tank for me or the anecdotes I mentioned.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back