Are these Dinos?

plc001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a fairly new (7 month old) 40g breeder that its going through a stage. I think its Dinos but would like some one to confirm. Its mainly on the sand bed, starts like a color brown but see a hint of red.

My phosphate are .03 ppm and my Nitrates are zero to 1.

I stop doing water changes, was doing 25% every week, then every other week and not skipped for 4 weeks. Was feeding once a day, now I'm feeding 3x a day.

Any other thing that I can do or just keep waiting? Thanks.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was diatoms... but it is very red. The picture is very small. I think we would need to know more. Does it blow off? Is it powdery, slimy, thick?

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like red Cyanobacteria to me. The reason nitrates are testing low is the cyanobacteria locks it all up. It's very common with higher silicates and phosphates in the water. Your nitrate silicates and phosphate will all test low As it's all being bound up inside the cyano.

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With dinos you should be worried more about seeing small bubbles trapped on the surface of the brown/red.
Also with Dinos they will break down and dissolve into the water column or under the substrate when the lights are off, only forming into large colonies and chains when the lights turn back on for the day.

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping this help.
Yeah just looks like cyano to me. It seems to be on your rocks as well, do us a favor and get a pipet or turkey baster / coral feeder and blow on the stuff that is on the rocks

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like you beat me to it, definitely Red Cyanobacteria. I want to say that's from silicates and phosphates. Do you have a silicate test kit?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like cyano. Sometimes you will find dinos and cyano together so a microscopic view is the only way to tell for sure.

Cyano is usually more prominent in low flow areas and is common with high nutrient levels. It is not dependent on silicates. Diatoms, sponges and chrysophytes are what depend on silicates.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like cyano. Sometimes you will find dinos and cyano together so a microscopic view is the only way to tell for sure.
I'm betting it's both. Color is pretty clearly cyano. Structure and color in strings says dino.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I bought a conch that thing LIVES to turn around every pebble on my sand bed!! Not sure if they consume cyano, I bet they do tho!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back