are these fish gonna be ok, or too many?

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Ive got my 55 gallon reef and my 29 gallon fowlr. I'm wanting to move my 2 fish from the 29 gallon in with my fish in the 55 gallon so I can tear down my 29 and start from scratch with it and make it a reef tank also. In my 55 gal I have a blue damsel, a black and white damsel, a 2 yellow and black chromis, plus my cuc of various snails and hermits, and shrimp...and of course some lps corals. The fish from my 29 gallon are a percula clown and a strawberry pseudochromis. First off is this gonna be too many fish for the 55, and secondly if not, is everybody gonna be compatible? Thanks

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that isn't too many fish. As far as compatibility, you may run into issues with the damsels (and chromis) down the line. As they get bigger, they can get meaner. Adding the pseudo and clown won't bother them much but the damsels could make adding new fish later more difficult.

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Ive seen that the damsels are kinda ****es when they get bigger. I just like them though even though theyre a pain. I have noticed though that the white and black damsel is already being a troublemaker and chasing everyone around, but he's not violent or nipping at all, so hopefully he's gonna be alright. The blue damsel doesnt seem to be too aggresive at all though thankfully. But thanks for the info, I appreciate it, and I will add the other two fish to the 55 gallon. Thanks!

rybitski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to chime in on the damsel disscussion:
When I first started I bought 2 four stripe black and white damsels then later added 2 blue damsels and a yellow tang at the same time. At first The only problem was the black and white ones chasing the blue ones. They never bothered the tang. Then I added a convict tang thinking that there would be no problems... boy was I wrong... I eventually had to remove them from the display tank. Currently they are hanging out in my refugium. I regret the day that I bought these fish just because of how agressive they are. This is just a word of caution: keep a close eye on the black and white ones.

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudochromis will pwn damsels in aggressiveness.

Wow, really?? I woulda never expected that!

Rybitski- Luckily I've got a sump/refugium also. so if that black and white gets outta control he'll find himself a new home in there as well, or hell go back into the 29 gallon all by himself.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate you chiming in on this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back