Are these Hydroids?

Darkcartographer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up and found these on my aquarium glass. They look like tiny starfish. From reading online, they seem to be hydroids, is that correct?
0A4B8360-D36B-4ED3-AD0F-DA8DBCC563CF.jpeg
AA429138-A534-4034-BF5B-5DACBAFC437B.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems so yeah

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up and found these on my aquarium glass. They look like tiny starfish. From reading online, they seem to be hydroids, is that correct?
0A4B8360-D36B-4ED3-AD0F-DA8DBCC563CF.jpeg
AA429138-A534-4034-BF5B-5DACBAFC437B.jpeg
Those are definitely hydroids. I found 1 or 2 of those things on my glass also. Now at night I flash my camera light and see these web like strings coming from different places on my rocks. I thought they were tube worms at first but now I realized what they are and I'm upset.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I believe the Medusa (jellyfish) stage is after that one. That or they are that stage and just grabbing the glass. I can’t remember exactly.

I used to have big waves of them like that and then eventually they all disappeared. Those things seemed to sting everything. If you watch a snail going along the glass you’ll see it recoiling constantly as they try to navigate past them.

still have colonial hydroids after a couple years that seem impossible to kill though lol.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I believe the Medusa (jellyfish) stage is after that one. That or they are that stage and just grabbing the glass. I can’t remember exactly.

I used to have big waves of them like that and then eventually they all disappeared. Those things seemed to sting everything. If you watch a snail going along the glass you’ll see it recoiling constantly as they try to navigate past them.

still have colonial hydroids after a couple years that seem impossible to kill though lol.
colonial hydroids are no joke. They are absolutely indestructible.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They sure are and likely medusa version and can be scraped off galss into a net using old credit card Or simply starve them and they will die off
Flame back pygmy anges eat them like candy. These often emerge from new live rock

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I kinda gave up after the blow torch didn’t work lol. Luckily they don’t spread too fast. Now I just glue over them every now and then to keep them somewhat managed.
lol, that's what I did, I just epoxy globbed over them whenever I saw them. Seemed to work.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm just upset because I will have to take rock out 1 by 1 and manually remove them. It's weird because I only saw them at night and during the day nothing. My zoanthids were open and the string was in between the zoa polyps and no negative reaction from the zoas.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just upset because I will have to take rock out 1 by 1 and manually remove them. It's weird because I only saw them at night and during the day nothing. My zoanthids were open and the string was in between the zoa polyps and no negative reaction from the zoas.

yeah they don’t seem to be a big deal. they just kinda bothered a lot of things in my tank. Ate lots of pods too lol but those ones eventually went away on their own.

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they don’t seem to be a big deal. they just kinda bothered a lot of things in my tank. Ate lots of pods too lol but those ones eventually went away on their own.
I have tons of copepods and I just replenished my tank with pods yesterday. I guess this is what they mean when people say, "This hobby comes with many ups and downs so prepare yourself!"

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back