Are these palys or zoas?

ryanc1025

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Messages
78
Reaction score
21
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put these on a main rock and it was a mistake. I'd like to remove them and isolate to their own rock. Are these palys or zoas?

20241213_195604.jpg
 
FWIW, palythoa are a type of zooanthid.
Thanks randy. Do I need to take extra measures or precautions when trimming these back to keep them at bay?

I've heard all the negatives when dealing with palys, just want to make sure I'm not making the same mistakes.
 
Thanks randy. Do I need to take extra measures or precautions when trimming these back to keep them at bay?

I've heard all the negatives when dealing with palys, just want to make sure I'm not making the same mistakes.

I'm not a good one to answer questions about specific zooanthids, sorry.
 
Thanks randy. Do I need to take extra measures or precautions when trimming these back to keep them at bay?

I've heard all the negatives when dealing with palys, just want to make sure I'm not making the same mistakes.
If you’re looking to keep this colony contained to a specific footprint, then it is wise to isolate them on a rock where you can monitor the spread. Depending on the tank and conditions will depend on how fast they grow for you. Start with our isolated rock and monitor.
 
How do you thin a colony on the aqua-scape? remove physically with tweezers ? What other methods do you recommend?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new